Brewing outside when it’s too windy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

linusstick

Reaction score
What to do? Got so windy that my wort stopped boiling 35 minutes in and no matter how high I turned the gas on, I couldn’t get more than a few seconds of rigorous boil before the wind spread the flame out and stopped it again. When all was said and done I couldn’t boil off the amount I needed to and ended up way short of my OG (1.065 instead of 1.088). Obviously with that being the case I ended up with a lot more wort than I was planning. Since I was already mashing and couldn’t turn back, what kind of ideas can you run past me that would’ve helped? Only thin I can think of is brewing in the garage

Wind is the worst. I turn up the burner, which you’ve already done. I brew in my driveway. First thing I would do is move a car to make a shield. If that’s not an option, make some kind of wind shield. Maybe something with tin closer to your burner. Wind is the only thing that’s stopped me from brewing. I also worry about stuff flying into the kettle.

Only thin I can think of is brewing in the garage

That's what I do. I brew in the entrance to my garage.

At my old house I tried an experiment brewing out on the back patio. I found that in one area where the wind flows, I just had constant trouble. But I moved to an area with a natural wind break, and it was much better. So if you have a wind break outdoors, that might help.

But if you just move to the garage on windy days, it should solve the problem.

I had this problem on Friday and I ended up making a wind blocking apparatus around the brew zone. It was highly sophisticated and mostly cardboard and duct tape.

I use a length of aluminum flashing wrapped around the burner.
I bent small angles onto opposite corners to hold it together. It does a good job, and generally helps retain heat even on calm days. It is flexible enough to allow the gas line beneath, the valve outside.
Simple and cheap.

Back