Brewing now: made noobie mistake advice needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UrbanBrew

Reaction score
Long story short, I am brewing a IPA the recipe called for 1/2 once of 3 different hops to be added at 15 minute intervals. By a calulation mistake I dumped in the entire 1/2 once at the beginning of the 60 minute boil. It calls for another .25 at flameout and a 10 day dry hopping. Any advice on how to compensate for this mistake?
citra 1/2 once
warrior 1/2 once
amarillo 1/2 once
Thanks,
:fro:

Long story short, I am brewing a IPA the recipe called for 1/2 once of hops to be added at 15 minute intervals. By a calulation mistake I dumped in the entire 1/2 once at the beginning of the 60 minute boil. It calls for another .25 at flameout and a 10 day dry hopping. Any advice on how to compensate for this mistake?
Thanks,

This doesn't make any sense, recipe called for half ounce of hops added every 15 minutes, or 1/2 ounce spread out over 60 minutes at 15 minute intervals?

Try posting your entire recipe, including malts, hops (types, times, AA), and any other info.

In reality it would have been 3.6 grams per hop every 15 minutes. 7.2 grams of the amarillo at flameout. I put in 12.3 of each at 60 minutes. After a 15 boil of the LME. Hope this makes more sense.

If you dumped in all of your hop additions at the beginning of the boil, then I'm not sure there's anything you can do about it now. Your beer will be more bitter than the recipe called for and will be missing some hop aroma and flavor.

However, you can still dry hop and maybe make up for some of that. I'm not sure if you added the hops you were supposed to dry hop with to the boil, but if you did, then you have time to go back to your LHBS and pick up some more while your beer is fermenting.

I am running a half batch.

5.00 lb Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 59.52% (at 75 minutes)
3.00 lb Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 35.71% (at flameout)

0.40 lb British Amber Malt (22.0 SRM) Grain 4.76% (steeping grains)

0.25 oz Simcoe [12.90 %] (60 min) Hops
0.25 oz Warrior [16.10 %] (60 min) Hops
0.25 oz Amarillo Gold [9.30 %] (60 min) Hops

0.25 oz Simcoe [12.90 %] (45 min) Hops
0.25 oz Warrior [16.10 %] (45 min) Hops
0.25 oz Amarillo Gold [9.30 %] (45 min) Hops

0.25 oz Amarillo Gold [9.30 %] (30 min) Hops
0.25 oz Simcoe [12.90 %] (30 min) Hops
0.25 oz Warrior [16.10 %] (30 min) Hops

0.25 oz Warrior [16.10 %] (15 min) Hops
0.25 oz Amarillo Gold [9.30 %] (15 min) Hops
0.25 oz Simcoe [12.90 %] (15 min) Hops

0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [9.30 %] (0 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep)

0.50 oz Simcoe [12.90 %] (Dry Hop 10 days)
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [9.30 %] (Dry Hop 10 days)

1 Pkgs Ringwood Ale (Wyeast Labs #1187) Yeast-Ale

0.25 oz Simcoe [12.90 %] (45 min) Hops
0.25 oz Warrior [16.10 %] (45 min) Hops
0.25 oz Amarillo Gold [9.30 %] (45 min) Hops

0.25 oz Amarillo Gold [9.30 %] (30 min) Hops
0.25 oz Simcoe [12.90 %] (30 min) Hops
0.25 oz Warrior [16.10 %] (30 min) Hops

correct me if im wrong but adding hops at these times wont really help your beer

is this the exact recipe or is this your interpretation of the instructions?

as far as repair... its gunna be more bitter and less flavor and aroma... so add some hops at the 15 and 5 min... and dryhop for the added flavor

Am I the only one who still doesn't know what's going on here?

If you have any hops left, using them late in the boil will help out (15 mins was suggested above). Then you could buy some more hops in the next few weeks for dry hopping.

If you have no hops left whatsoever, you could still buy some more hops for dry hopping, which will improve but not really fix your beer.

If you have any hops left, using them late in the boil will help out (15 mins was suggested above). Then you could buy some more hops in the next few weeks for dry hopping.

If you have no hops left whatsoever, you could still buy some more hops for dry hopping, which will improve but not really fix your beer.

+1 Sounds like good advice.

It's no wonder the OP got confused during then hop additions with some of these confusing replies.

Please post what you intended to brew(If you cut something in half, do the math for us, and include everything, including batch size and boil size), and then post what you did brew.

It appears that you were going for an overly bitter beer, and then just took it up a notch with moving your hop additions up. Pucker up.

Thanks to all that responded.

Ok, it's in the carboy now so I have time to explain.
Recipe says .25 oz per addition= 1/4 oz
half batch would equal 12.5 oz per addition = 1/8 oz
Instead of doing it by 1/8 of an oz I (like an idiot) measured out 12.5 grams.
I should have used 3.6 grams per addition but measured and dumped in 12.5 grams at the 60 minute mark.

So here is how it went:
Grains= steep for 25 min
15 minute tea only boil
3lb LME (sub for DME) 60
2lb LME added at flameout

12.5 grams Citra 60 minutes
12.5 grams Warrior 60 minutes
12.5 grams Amarillo 60 minutes
7.5 grams Amarillo Flameout
Double pitch at 71 degrees

Hopes that better explains.
It not that big of a deal. If it's drinkable we will drink it. If not, oh well. I will do another batch. Lesson well learned. I have more then enough hops left.

Now next question, it finished with a 1.090 OG at 2 1/2 gallons, should I add water to bring it down to the recipes OG of 1.071? I still plan on dry hopping. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: Just tasted a little from the hygrometer and it doesn't seem half bad. Maybe it will end up being one of those really good mistakes.....probably not.

Did you use Citra or Simcoe Hops?

And what were you're AA numbers? I am assuming they weren't the same as the original recipe.

Starting at 1.090 OG any guess as to what the FG may be? Given the fact that it was a half batch it was double pitched.

Starting at 1.090 OG any guess as to what the FG may be? Given the fact that it was a half batch it was double pitched.

I'm a newbee too but if I'm understanding the frementation process correctly you fg will depend on the type of yeast you used. With that high of an OG the yeast recomended for the original recipe may not tolerate that much abv and leave you with higher FG and a sweet beer. I found this to be the case with some of the wine I made.

Sounds like you've made something like a barley wine or double imperial IPA with that high of an OG. I would probably settle in for a long primary to let the little beasties have a marathon party, dry hop with something pleasing to your own taste, bottle, and put it in a closet and forget it till about Oktoberfest. You might have a great suprise then. Good luck.:rockin:

Thanks to all that responded.

Now next question, it finished with a 1.090 OG at 2 1/2 gallons, should I add water to bring it down to the recipes OG of 1.071? I still plan on dry hopping. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
QUOTE]

My first IPA that I did ended up with a high OG as well. I loosely followed a recipe from Charlie's book, The Joy of Homebrewing, and ended putting way too LME combined with specialty grains. The result was a darker than normal IPA with some sweeter malt flavors. It looked and tasted a lot like a highly hopped version of a local brewery, Schell's Bock. Thus I named it BockKiller IPA and have enjoyed drinking every pint so far!

IMO, I would not add water for fear of infection (unless you boil it). I'd let it ride and see what happens. It's only 2.5 gal, so if you don't like it, you only have to choke down half as much as a regular 5 gal! :cross:

IMO, I would not add water for fear of infection (unless you boil it). I'd let it ride and see what happens. It's only 2.5 gal, so if you don't like it, you only have to choke down half as much as a regular 5 gal! :cross:

This was a lot of effort and trouble for 2.5 and a half gallons of brew.

This was a lot of effort and trouble for 2.5 and a half gallons of brew.

Not really, I enjoy the process. We learn far more from our mistake then or successes, and sometimes those mistakes lead to something new. Other then the time I put into posting on the forum it was no more work then I expected. I'm going to let it go for a week or two then rack it over to a bucket and let it sit for a month or so. I plan on washing the yeast and immediately trying this recipe again. Thanks for trying to help.

Just took a reading of this one, and it is sitting at a 1.030 right now (OG 1.090 now 1.030). Looks like all activity has stopped but it will be in the primary for at least 5 more days. Tasted what was in the hygrometer and it was very tasty. The HG sweetness is offset by the hops or vice verse. Really looking forward to this one finishing.

Just wanted to say this is the best batch I have made. I just drank the 3rd bottle of this batch and it is delicious!!! My Father In Law said it was one of the best IPAs he has ever had, and he is a IPA guy. I actually ran another batch as the recipe stated and tink I like this one better.

Back