brewing Indoors with Propane

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While it's always a good idea to have a CO detector on hand, I don't think that's the main danger of burning propane indoors. Like previous posters have stated, millions of people burn it on cooktops, furnaces, etc. It is not inherently unsafe.

Propane is a hydrocarbon (C3H8) that when burned with oxygen produces carbon DIoxide (CO2) and water. It is possible with improperly adjusted equipment for carbon MONoxide to be formed, but with properly-running burners that really should not be an issue.

The danger lies in oxygen depletion. Especially in a confined space such as a basement or a closed garage, a turkey fryer with a good-sized burner will use up a lot of oxygen, replacing it with carbon dioxide and water vapor. When the oxygen level gets below about 19.5% the human body will start feeling the effects of depletion and you can run into trouble.

The key is proper ventilation. Assuming you've got a stable setup and there are no dangers of the burner getting knocked over, AND you've got proper ventilation, there is no significant danger to burning propane inside. What is proper ventilation? I don't know. A good exhaust fan that vents outdoors and brings in fresh from outside ought to do it, but you'd have to check with the experts to get the right fan for that. A garage door open enough to get some fresh air in should be fine. If you're brewing in a shed with the door closed, you'll need some sort of ventilation fan along with a fresh air intake.

But like I said, millions of Americans (myself included) safely burn propane in their homes. If there was a serious risk of CO poisoning from doing so, it would not be permitted for residential structures.

Bottom line -- go ahead and do it, but do it safely.

I've used a turkey fryer with 10psi regulator in my basement for probably a dozen (5-gallon) batches. I've done it with both a small window open and a fan running, and without. Ultimately probably not the wisest thing I've ever done, but with any hint of oxygen depletion the windows get opened and the fans go on.

I recently scored a single tier 3-burner brew station from Craigslist, and that is most definitely a no-no for burning indoors. I fired it up once just to check it out, and those banjo burners eat up way too much of my breathing air. That will only be used outdoors.

Most of my batches are done outside or in the garage, but during the 9 month Wisconsin winter I've moved indoors for a handful of batches. Be smart and you'll be fine, be stupid and you'll get in trouble.

My brewing has to be infused with some partaking as well - so hard and fast rules work best for me and keep me out of trouble. A lot of good advice in this thread, just be safe and live to brew another day!

I've used a turkey fryer with 10psi regulator in my basement for probably a dozen (5-gallon) batches. I've done it with both a small window open and a fan running, and without. Ultimately probably not the wisest thing I've ever done, but with any hint of oxygen depletion the windows get opened and the fans go on.

I recently scored a single tier 3-burner brew station from Craigslist, and that is most definitely a no-no for burning indoors. I fired it up once just to check it out, and those banjo burners eat up way too much of my breathing air. That will only be used outdoors.

Most of my batches are done outside or in the garage, but during the 9 month Wisconsin winter I've moved indoors for a handful of batches. Be smart and you'll be fine, be stupid and you'll get in trouble.

Some people can't make this distinction on their own. Instead, they turn to strangers on the internet.

I have been searching on the internet for an hour and cannot seem to find the answer to why some homes use propane for heating, hot water heaters and indoor stoves, yet a camp stove indoors is so dangerous. There are 4 burners and a fifth on the stove on a propane range. Surely that would potentially consume as much air and give off as much carbon monoxide as a single burner on a camp stove. What am I missing?

A building designed and built for gas usage has an adequate make up air source in the design. A building designed for all electrical usage may not have adequate make up air for gas usage.

A building designed and built for gas usage has an adequate make up air source in the design. A building designed for all electrical usage may not have adequate make up air for gas usage.

So since my home is heated with natural gas and has a natural gas stove (both of which could be converted to propane if I wanted to go "off the grid"), I can safely use my banjo burner indoors (with respect to carbon monoxide)?

That would be pure speculation on my behalf, I haven't seen your home. You must have adequate exhaust and equivalent make up air. I can't give specs over the internet.

That would be pure speculation on my behalf, I haven't seen your home. You must have adequate exhaust and equivalent make up air. I can't give specs over the internet.

Of couse, but I guess the real question is, if your home was safe for indoor natural gas or propane, why wouldn't it be safe for indoor camp stoves (strictly with respect to ventilation)? I'm not asking for you to sign off on it :)

Latest posts

Back