Brewing in Romania

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darling

Reaction score
Hi All

I've been brewing for a little over a year now (and at the same time stalking these forums). Before I began, I did about 5-6 months of research: Papazian, Palmer, Zainasheff, a very very very bad ebook I bought off amazon, BrewingTV videos (the original series), the Science of Brewing, numerous forums and online materials. In short, I chose sponging before sparging.

I knew from the beginning I wanted to go All Grain all the way. When we got to Romania (I am American, my wife is from Transylvania), the first thing I did was start looking for ingredients. This has been the biggest pain since day 1. Nearly every homebrew retailer in Europe is a distributor for the same company, and each carries a small portion of their catalog. (I visited them in Belgium before moving here and it is a beautiful thing to see.) So, if the ONE supplier in Romania doesn't have what I need, I can try and special order, or pay upwards of 50-60$ to have it shipped from Germany. Or drive there to personally pick up malt from small, private maltings. As fairy-tale wonderful as this sounds, it's just not worth the all-day trip across Romania, followed by the relatively quick (and decidedly less bumpy) route into Bavaria for 50kg of malt. The best way (as is the case with most things here) is to know a guy who knows a guy who knows a guy who makes that trip once a week.

Problems aside, the first batch was great, the second as well, and it's been steady progress ever since. I've been able to tweak my process into consistency, began treating my water (our city water is good, but totally devoid of minerals) and making the beers that I want to drink. Some things I do as a matter of principle (stretching out yeast as far as it will go being the number one most important thing I do), others as curious experimentation (Chili Pale Ale, Jasmine and Red Pepper Ale).

I'm here to share what I've learned and to learn from what you all have. So if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask; I will be asking as well.

Cheers

Sounds like you have your supply issues taken care off. That is a bit of a problem for me. 2 1/2 hour drive on a good day to my 'local' brew supply. Brew on��

I'm interested in what/how you're brewing. I do pb/pm biab myself. I like doing old, or extinct German beers as well. There are a few of us on her that experiment with them. So many styles to learn from on here, it can be mind-boggling at times. :mug:

Welcome!

I know someone who would be very interested in hearing your story on brewing in Romania. His family is from Romania and they have traveled there and visit relatives and have written books on it. They seem to share a lot of FB posts on/about Romania.

He's a long time winemaker. He actually got me into brewing and gave me his old bench capper, which I still use today. I'd be interested in seeing pictures of your setup and your brewday, etc.

Thanks everyone!

@AkTom: what I wouldn't do to be able to drive any distance to an actual store to buy my supplies! And a 2.5 hour drive in Romania means going about 60 miles! As it is, I buy in as much bulk as I can; shipping usually turns out to be ~20% of the cost, which is a bummer.

@unionrdr: European styles are exactly why I got into making beer myself...I was so tired of drinking them I had to make something unbalanced, over-the-top and quintessentially American! For me there is too much restraint in the traditional brewing community. I respect subtlety, but sometimes I just need a juicy hop bomb, and the Germans and Belgians just won't do it!

@Homercidal: I'll think about documenting my brewday. I don't think it's anything spectacularly different from what most other homebrewers do. After all, I learned everything I know from the same sources.

Cheers

Yeah, I make a few different IPA's & IIPA's myself, the latest with super hot peppers where the hops match the fruity/citrus of the peppers. The colonial whiskely stout, a few versions of that so far, APA's, etc. Besides old, rare, extinct or nearly so beers. I find it interesting brewing beers that, so far, go back to at least 1392.

@Homercidal: I'll think about documenting my brewday. I don't think it's anything spectacularly different from what most other homebrewers do. After all, I learned everything I know from the same sources.

Cheers

You'd be surprised at some of the things they find interesting about Romania. plus I'm not sure how up-to-date he is on homebrewing technology. I'm pretty sure his process back in the day was to open a can of malt syrup and add sugar and water and yeast. There wasn't a lot to choose from back then.

Welcome to the forum! I visited Romania with my college jazz band in 2003 or 2004. Beautiful country. We played an outdoor beer and music festival sponsored by Timisoreana, but while we stayed somewhere in Transylvania, I don't remember the name of the town.

Pro tip: a 22 hour bus ride from our hotel in Romania to Sofia (or maybe Plovdiv), Bulgaria via backroads, and including a trip across the Danube, while hungover and/or still drunk is not a good idea. Watch out for the Țuică!

It's true that the main ingredients are quite expensive here. I thought that i am the only one who thinks this because all my brewing friends seems to don't mind the price. I don't know in the USA but here we pay the equivalent of 1.5$ for a kg of base malt and about 14-15$ for a liquid yeast (wyeast). WhiteLabs will be avaulable form 2016, we'll see what the price will be.
I got a contact at a big malt factory and i buy malt for 0.5$/kg from there. They only produce Pilsner malt but for this price i am willing to experiment with it. PM me if you want some details about this factory, it's based in Buzau, i don't know where do you live in Transilvania but it couldn't be more than 2-3 hours drive, even on our roads...

Back