Brewing in Pairs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thejerk

Reaction score
My buddy and I are just getting into homebrewing. I did one batch, then he jumped in and we've done two batches together. We are both very opinionated and stubborn people. We got into an argument over our approach to brewing last time.
My question is, do most people brew solo, or do you brew as a partnership with a friend, etc.? And how do you make that work when you have different ideas of how it should be? Just trade off, my brew then your brew the next weekend, etc.?
A second part to this question, if we ever get good at this and/or interested in entering competitions, how do we enter them? You can't enter as a team, right?
We're good friends and drinking buddies, but I'd hate our new passion (*obsession*) to ruin that...

Wow, I am not sure. I guess my way is the only way to brew and it just so happens all of my friends agree with me.................so maybe it is there way to brew that I am following:drunk:

What specifically did you disagree about and prehaps we can tell you who is right and who is wrong, or if they are both correct ways to go about it and to RDWHAHB.

i have only brewed 3 all grain batches, i have had friends hangout while i brew and help but, its my house, my equipment, my ingredients, my recipe, my way.

of course they help and i provide food and drink and we have a good time while doing it. cant wait to get a batch in this weekend

What kind of argument did you guys have?

Anyways I brew solo with an audience, usually someone wants to learn and or just observe. I don't mind as it allows conversation during the process and someone to share beer with.

Yes, you can enter comps as co-brewers. You list both names.

Brewing in pairs is great because you can do 10 gallon batches and split them up. The other method is to both brew 10 gallons of something different and then split off half. Then you end up with two different batches of beer.

Up until now, I have also just brewed alone for the most part. The first batch or two I actually did with my soon to be brother in law. His desire to brew has since flamed out and hasn't brewed in a while. I have had my Dad over to watch the process, but I am the brewer and make all of the decisions regarding the batch.

There are always going to be disagreements about some things with brewing. Just check the boards regarding different sanitizers, to secondary or not, etc. Everyone has their own opinion and that's what makes brewing so much fun. You can try one thing this time, and do something different another time. Just have fun and enjoy each other's company.

It sounds like you are brewing and he is helping since you've paid for everything besides one carboy.
I would say he buys the next 2-3 batches worth of ingredients depending on how much you've spent.
Then I would say, you run one batch I'll run the next.
But really, what kind of arguments was it? it maybe one where one of you was definitely right and would make way better (quality) beer than the other. In that case you need to prove whose idea is right (most likely already proven somewhere on this forum) and use that method. Good luck. Splitting costs with a buddy would be great. I've had a friend over once for a quick extract on the stove, and my bro came over about halfway through the mash once and hung out post pitch. He helped with physical labor when I ran into troubles with my CFC and it was great that he happened to be there.

But I brew a alone and enjoy my Brew Days of Solitude. It's my one day a month to myself. Well mostly.

I almost always brew alone. The only exception is when I'm helping someone learn. I also use a task list to make sure I haven't forgotten anything. For new brewers I think it is most important to have little or no distractions so you can concentrate on defining & documenting your process.

I usually have a friend over. I'm the smart one (as far as brewing) and he is the helper. I'd like him to be able to read up on it and help out more instead of getting me distracted with computer stuff, or politics, or whatever, but he just seems to like to hang out and BS. That is fine, but I thought he was in it for the beermaking.

Now that I know he likes Centennial Blonde, I'll make him brew while I surf the internet...

Thanks for the quick answers. The argument was more on the philosophical side, not on the technique side. It was a stupid argument, but knowing us, I expect more arguments. I think maybe the best way for us to solve this is if each of us "owns" our own recipes. But I know both of us will want to brew some very similar beers, and then we'll run into opinions.
It's really not a brewer/helper situation here. We both assert ourselves equally.

Maybe I am just being overly nosy but I would love to actually hear what the argument was about? It obviously was bad enough to cause this post, and warn you of future arguments. I wonder who was right, and if its you I wonder why your brewing with said friend. :D

I am to all my friends the only one who brews so there are no arguments there.

If I was to have a friend who wanted to brew with me and make his own/alternate. I'd teach them my method thats worked for me and then let them do it the way they want.

They will either make good beer or not so good beer.

I've only had one disagreement with my friends that we have not been able to get past but it's with my best friend and his new ugly/fat/lazy/manipulative white trash nascar watching weight gaining stomach stapled annoying voice having new wife. His wife who died from cancer a couple years ago was infinitaly much better and he doesnt seem to think he deserves better...

but thats a long story...

/end rant.

Aside from that I dont have conflicts with my friends that we can't get past.

I almost always brew with my friend. I purchased all the equipment, so if he decides to not brew anymore or a move happens, I still have the equipment.

We alternate recipes, and split the cost for ingredients. The person who made the recipe is usually the brewer of the day, as it is their recipe, however we both contribute pretty equally. And, since we have brewed every batch together except one, we essentially have the same process.

For entering competitions, I enter one of my recipes and he enters one of his recipes.

This has always worked well for us, and we have been doing this for about 2 years now.

I brew alone simple do to preference. The problem with partners is that you will have different ways of doing things , the results may be the same but the approach varies.
You need to talk it out ,or do to the fact that your footing the bill explain it's your equiptment ,your money ...so your rules.

I've never actually brewed with another person who knows what they are doing. Of course, it's debatable whether I know what I'm doing, but that's not the point. I have brewed with a couple people who wanted to see how the process went before and it was nice to have an extra pair of hands and someone to talk to while I'm waiting for water to heat, boil, etc.

I guess if I was brewing with another brewer, it how the beer gets done depends on who's place it is. We're using my kitchen and my ingredients, we're doing it my way. If I'm just there as the sous brewer, I'll do it how they want.

I went in it with a friend. We split the cost of everything. I do more research on the ingredients/recipes and he's more into the equipment/sanitation (I call him the sanitation engineer) partly because the equipment is at his house.

We're both so easy going I can't imagine having a real argument. If one of us doesn't really like the idea of something we'll bring it up and it works out.

If I were you I would do one brew his way and the next your way. Even if it's a beer you both like just do it one person's way. Who knows, the beer might come out better than expected and you'll still learn. If it's no up to par, do it the other person's way the next time. RDWHHB.

Maybe I am just being overly nosy but I would love to actually hear what the argument was about? It obviously was bad enough to cause this post, and warn you of future arguments. I wonder who was right, and if its you I wonder why your brewing with said friend. :D

It was no biggie. After making a lot of mistakes on our first two batches, I wanted to invite over a brewer friend who knows what he's doing to guide us through the next batch. He says no, we need to just learn from our mistakes, do more reading, research, and better planning, and go it our own. We are both just kinda intense sometimes, and that was one of those moments. I capitulated eventually, whatever, I just want to keep learning and figure out how to do this right. So now I'm talking to everybody I can and learning as much as I can before we brew again on Saturday (same recipe for third time...we're going to do it until we get it right. Although I just sampled 2nd attempt from carboy and it's actually pretty darn good. I plan on brewing something different in a couple of weeks...). We know what we did wrong (mashing, lautering, and sparging basics), and we know how to fix it, now we just have to implement it.

Well I applaud your ambition, sounds like you had the right idea though. If you have a seasoned all grain brewer willing to show you first hand, I would jump at the chance. Nothing at all wrong learning from a fellow vet brewer! If you guys would of done that from day one you wouldn't have any half assed batches I am sure. Community is great, I would of never attempted anything without a support group of some kind. I read the books but talking to people about specifics and hanging out learning first hand goes above and beyond!

Being hard headed and stubborn only slows progress!

Good luck Saturday, hopefully this turns out how you wanted. If it doesn't, just invite the guy over to teach you without your hard headed friend along for the ride.

It's all about the fun. If you anticipate not having fun brewing with him, just brew separately.

Alternately, agree in advance about the gameplan and then hopefully there'll be no arguments when it's time to get on with it.

Sounds like you 2 guys are different , he wants to figure it out himself by researching and you want to be shown. There's nothing wrong with both approaches. For him it's probably the satisfaction he gets out of being a DIY self taught person. Alot of us are that way.

I typically know I can find the answer online somewhere for any given task, where SWMBO will readily walk into a Home Depot and start asking questions. I like to research and formulate questions .

I brew with my good buddy, he got into brewing a few years ago while I was married and not allowed to hang with him. Now that I'm free I bought my own equipment and we brew together. It's funny cause he brewed probly only 4 or 5 batches in the two years he was brewing and right after I bought my kit I was introduced to this site and started doing my homework. Now he laughs that I know slightly more about brewing than he does, even though he brewed more than I he knew I'd been reading and was willing to try something I had read here. Together we've made 5 successful batches of good beer in two months. I agree with others when said try his way one time and do it yours the next.

mostly alone unless its someone who wants to learn the process last brew my BIL was helping he does extracts and wanted to learn all grain.Also he just bought a kegging system and wanted to see how I did mine and it just so happened I had some ready to rack to the keg. Sometimes SWMBO will pop in .

Buy your own crap and go your own way. If you want to brew together later, you have that option too. I brew with a guy who keeps the equipment at his place, and he has everything sanitized before I get there. Who knows what he is doing with that crap.

I brew with a guy who keeps the equipment at his place, and he has everything sanitized before I get there. Who knows what he is doing with that crap.

I see this as a huge advantage for me but I completely trust the other guy. He wants the beer to be as good as I do. I definitely got the better end of the deal on that one. I have a bad back and just the brewing alone is an ordeal as far as my back goes but it's not as far as brewing with him.

I wonder if there's a way you could approach the subject. I would think any reasonable sanitation should be OK but I'm still a beginner.

What kind of argument did you guys have?

He said my ass was getting bigger and I should lay-off the extra malt extract in our next IPA. I, of course, took this personally. Who is he to tell me how malty to make my next beer??? I mean, we're sharing beer, but it is my beer brewed with my equipment!!! Malt is what makes beer taste like real beer and gives it that body that everyone loves. And then I think, what the hell is my buddy doing looking at my ass? :cross:

I'm just kidding around. I've had ONE beer tonight and I just couldn't pass up this low, slow pitch over the plate. You'll work it out. I've got some friends that are just work friends--we don't do anything social, just lunches at work. I've got other friends that are closer than my brother, almost family. Maybe you and this guy just need to have another beer before getting into the serious beer discussions. Or, as I've learned with some friends, there are just some things you don't talk about. I like the person, but we just fundamentally see differently on some topics. I learned this week not to talk politics with anyone on this board! I'll stick to beer--and of course, the occasional domestic disturbance.

I typically brew alone, but when friends come over it's to hang out, land a helping hand, and drink. I paid for the ingredients and created the recipe, so the beer is mine.

About 2/3rds of the time I brew, I brew with the guy who taught me to brew (HBT'er: jaysus). We each do our own 5 gallon recipes, assisting each other when necessary.

In July though, we're going to do a 10 gallon batch and split it. Basically, we'll just do a 10 gallon mash and then split the runnings since we only have a 9 gallon and a 7.5 (I think) gallon pot. So as long as we agree on the grain bill and mash, we can hop/spice/boil/ferment as we like. So I'd be shocked if we have any problems.

We'll use the same yeast as well... Plan is to get one vial and make a starter... I'll step it up several times over 2 weeks so that we have the equivalent of more than 2 started vials...

I've only done 3 batches so far, but each has been with a friend. I'm planning on doing some batches on my own eventually but we split the cost of equipment and ingredients, so it made it a lot cheaper for both of us to start out. Plus since both of us were learning at the same time it helped since we both picked up different things reading Palmer's book.

I could see it being a problem if we argued a lot though. Unless you think this other guy is adding something to the process that's worth it, I'd just go off on my own.

Back