Brewing in Japan

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bsktbll_24

Reaction score
I just moved to Japan and will be here for several years, I brought all my home brew equipment and was wondering if there are any stateside websites that will ship to military APO addresses

one of them had a 10% millarty discount.. maybe to a search for that, or I am sure someone will come along and post it here.

MoreBeer out of California ships to an APO address no problem. Usually takes 10-14 days to get my orders here in Okinawa.

@Chap: I'm on Kadena, let me know if want to exchange some home brew. I'm not sure what the brewing scene is like out here but I know a lot of people in the squadron miss the big flavor American beers from home. An island brew fest would be awesome!

I just moved to Japan and will be here for several years, I brought all my home brew equipment and was wondering if there are any stateside websites that will ship to military APO addresses

I am stationed at Zama and two of the biggest problems I have are shipping costs, and the length of time for supplies to get here!

@Chap: I'm on Kadena, let me know if want to exchange some home brew. I'm not sure what the brewing scene is like out here but I know a lot of people in the squadron miss the big flavor American beers from home. An island brew fest would be awesome!

Sorry, never saw this post. I just brewed again thins weekend. I agree, an island brew fest would be awesome! There is a small but active homebrew club here on island, Facebook page is https://www.facebook.com/groups/229146713798200/

That actually looks awesome. I bet it costs an arm and a leg though like everything else here. Where is it located at?

Kiuchi (aka Hitachino Nest is in Ibaraki prefecture. If you take the Fresh Hitachi high-speed train out of Ueno in Tokyo it'll take about an hour 45 to get there.

Looks like fun, but is more expensive than craft beer here and if you have a decent homebrew setup, I don't think there is much merit but if I had the money I'd try it anyway.

Hope this helps. Cheers!

You might talk to Chris, the brewer at Baird Brewing over there. He was a long time homebrewer and frequented a lot of forums before going pro. He can probably offer a lot of insight about homebrewing in Japan.

Around 08-09 I was ordering from Morebeer and shipping to my APO in Korea, and I remember not having to pay for shipping at all when I ordered over a certain amount. I think that's because if they ship to an APO, they're only paying to ship it as far as the port (west coast for pacific-AP, east coast for europe-AE). Uncle sugar takes it the rest of the way, as I understand it. But, that makes the timing a little more uncertain. I think it took anywhere from one week to 3 weeks to get my orders back then. Your mileage may vary...

mcm114 said:
Around 08-09 I was ordering from Morebeer and shipping to my APO in Korea, and I remember not having to pay for shipping at all when I ordered over a certain amount. I think that's because if they ship to an APO, they're only paying to ship it as far as the port (west coast for pacific-AP, east coast for europe-AE). Uncle sugar takes it the rest of the way, as I understand it. But, that makes the timing a little more uncertain. I think it took anywhere from one week to 3 weeks to get my orders back then. Your mileage may vary...

More beer now charges about 30 bucks apo but at least they ship to it at all. A lot of places dont.

More beer now charges about 30 bucks apo but at least they ship to it at all. A lot of places dont.

If I have to get something from the states I go through Homebrewers Outpost. The shipping is what gets us the most here overseas, and they are no exception. APO to APO is free though, if you have someone close to a homebrew store that can utilize APO shipping, that is.

Back