Brewing in a travel trailer (advice please)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

millaj92

Reaction score
So I'm going to Florida for 10 weeks for work which normally means 10 weeks not brewing at home with my pretty bad ass all grain setup. I normally brew every Sunday so going even 3 weeks without brewing is pretty difficult for me to deal with. I'll be pulling my travel trailer there and living out of it and I'd love to do maybe a dumbed down method of brewing. I won't have room for all of my equipment nor will I have the luxury of a temp controlled fridge for fermentation. Also, I won't have space for bottling OR kegging. Me thinks I might be screwed, but if anyone has any tips for a very crude travelling brewing setup so that I can feed my brewing addiction, even if the beer is just okay, lets hear it!

Converted Coors/Miller homedraft system? You could ferment in them, control fermentation by putting them in a cooler with an ice pack, force carb w/ disposable cartridges, and they'd fit in a small travel trailer fridge or an ice chest for serving. Batch size would be ~5L / ~1.25 gal, which could be done stove top in a regular kitchen pot BIAB style. Just the first thing that came to mind.

Ooooh yeah I could use a party pig system. I've never used one before. That would be perfect, maybe. I'm not familiar with the home draft systems. Do they have a way to release pressure from fermenting? Either that or those tiny kegs things they sell full of Heineken or Spaten. I just need to figure out fittings for airlock and force carb. Small batches would be fine. I guess I could do like 2 gallon-ish extract batches.

I'll bet I could ferment in a pressure cooker as a means of light blockage and pressure relief. I don't know how much pressure it would keep in though. I'd like to find a way to ferment under natural pressure so that I could make a relatively low gravity beer and utilize the CO2 production of the fermentation to carb the beer as to reduce turn-around time.

The coors light/miller light home drafts are essentially the same thing as the Tap-A-Draft system, but cheaper and come filled with watered down american lager. There's a few threads on here about how to hack them for use as a portable miniature homebrew kegging system. They have a pressure relief valve that activates if you try to overcharge it, but I'm not sure if it would be too much pressure for fermentation. IIRC caps for 3L soda bottles thread on to the vessels perfectly, so you could also easily drill out a cap for an airlock or to fit a blow-off tube. They hold ~1.5 gal total, and cost ~$18-20 each. I'd want at least a couple to be able to rack off of the yeast cake after fermentation.

Back