Brewing Green

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I now do my boil over a pile of burning tires. That way I can get rid of the tires and brew at the same time.

Seriously though, whenever I drink my homebrew, I make sure to pee in this big bucket, then I filter that and use it as my brew liquor for my next batch.

No really, I go and club baby seals, then use their blubber layer for insulating my MLT. It works great.

Dear Sirs or Madams,

I am intrigued by your ideas and would like to sub-scribe to your news-letter.

Thank you,

vav

Has anyone built a passive solar panel system to preheat water? They are fairly inexpensive to make, and you can find plans online for making them.

Sorry to reply to a wicked old thread, but this is the route I am heading in. I have a detached garage with a single wicked sketchy electrical run from the breaker box in the basement (was installed by previous owner). I seriously do not want to run much more power over it than I already do, so eventually I would like to make the garage self-sufficient as far as power is concerned.

But, right now I am researching solar water heaters used with rain barrels. I think I am starting to grasp the basics of it, but there is a long stretch from a half-assed ghetto install to a professional turn-key solution. I'd like to find that middle way and build something decent that is not going to piss off SWMBO, the neighbors or draw the attention of the local zoning board!

As far as my current hot water needs in the garage, I think 10gal should be plenty. I have cold water running to the utility sink via an RV hose. Gotta tell you, I have entirely fallen in love with having a sink in the garage! It was this current set up that got me thinking that adding solar heated hot water would be like heaven.

Oh, back on topic, right now my "green" tips are StarSan in a corny and don't brew for over a year between batches! :eek: I'm itching to get brewing again...making the switch to AG in the garage. So many little odds and ends you wind up needing. Sheesh!
I'd love to hear some more new ideas for saving/reusing water. Hey, Texas? What have you guys come up with?

Have a look at this("Nästa sida" for next page) for some inspiration, a whole lot of cans gives some rather hot air. Something similar could be built for water, then you can even drain it by gravity, altough sanitation might be an issue.

Back