Brewing Classic Styles Recipies

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

speedie789

Reaction score
I'm brewing the blonde ale recipe form brewing classic styles today, but doing the recipe as all grain. I have a question about putting the recipe in beersmith. What do I set the batch size as, seeing that the book says the recipes are designed for 6 gallons left in the kettle after the boil, 5.5 going to fermenter, and 5 for final packaging. Do I set the batch size to 6 gallons then? Thanks for the help.

In the "old" beersmith you would set the batch size for 5 and then to the right of it there is a box that says boil volume. That box will say 6 by default. If you have the "new" beersmith then I have no idea...

Thanks for the replies, I'm about to get started and I am going with a 6 gallon batch size. I figure that when the book says the recipes are based on 6 gallons of wort in the kettle after the boil, then its a 6 gallon batch regardless of if its 6, 5.5, or 5 gallons that actually makes it into the fermentor.

Thanks for the replies, I'm about to get started and I am going with a 6 gallon batch size. I figure that when the book says the recipes are based on 6 gallons of wort in the kettle after the boil, then its a 6 gallon batch regardless of if its 6, 5.5, or 5 gallons that actually makes it into the fermentor.

Yes, that's correct. That helps when you are trying to hit a certain OG. It also helps figure the correct amounts when you adjust your own recipe in Beersmith for your efficiency.

Also when you have everything set and set your batch size just make sure your OG matches. If it does you got it right

In the "old" beersmith you would set the batch size for 5 and then to the right of it there is a box that says boil volume. That box will say 6 by default. If you have the "new" beersmith then I have no idea...

In Brewing Classic Styles the assumptions are 7 gallons for boil volume, 6 left in the kettle after evaporation loss, 5.5 into the fermenter with a half gallon lost to trub in the kettle, and 5 into the bottling bucket.

Back