Brewing Classic Styles book

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SevenFields

Reaction score
I picked up this book yesterday and I cant put it down. What a great read.
I love the simple but detailed explanations of each brew and recipe.
I cant decide which one to do 1st. I highly recommend this book!!!!!!!! :mug:

It is a good book. I have brewed many of the recipes and used them as a solid starting point and made tweaks to them for my own tastes.

Highly recommend this book. It's my go to recipe book. So far my favorites have been the Oatmeal Stout and West Coast Blaster. So tasty...

Agreed BCS is a good read and a great guide. I've so far brewed the dry stout, which came out good, but a little underattenuated (my fault - fermentation temp too low), the American Wheat (made with Rye malt as well). The Wheat came out decent, but is cloudier than I ever expected.

I just brewed the "Nutcastle" Northern Brown Ale this past weekend. Looks to be coming along nicely.

Since the stout and the wheat, I've been playing with the grain bills in beersmith so I get the results I want based upon my set up. I've realized that I have to scale down the grain bill from the book because I have a higher efficiency.

Great book! I have it and use it all the time. I've brewed several of the Belgian recipes.

Did you know that for each recipe in the book there is a full length radio show? Yep you can download the shows in mp3 format on itunes or from the brewing network. The book is great but the shows are freaking awesome. JZ goes it to great depth on the shows and gives you all his secrets for each style. And best of all it's FREE! yep the shows are all free! I'm such a geek I listen to them in the car.

I'm such a geek I listen to them in the car.

I have them all downloaded on my Droid.. also all the Brewstrong shows and I listen to them in the car and when Im working.

Ive brewed the cream ale, Oktoberfest, Irish red recipes.. on monday i plan to brew the Helles recipe. I always listen to the show and read the book for that style before I brew it.

Its a great collection of recipes and a good place for you to start tweaking to meet your own tastes interpretations of the styles.

I have them all downloaded on my Droid.. also all the Brewstrong shows and I listen to them in the car and when Im working.

Ive brewed the cream ale, Oktoberfest, Irish red recipes.. on monday i plan to brew the Helles recipe. I always listen to the show and read the book for that style before I brew it.

Its a great collection of recipes and a good place for you to start tweaking to meet your own tastes interpretations of the styles.

So you must be 10th level ;)

The can you brew shows are all so a fantastic resource. I've made the green flash west coast IPA clone and it's awesome. If you like a good hoppy IPA, brew this beer it's the hop BOMB.

This weekend I'll be doing 10 gallons of the Stone Levitation clone recipe. Perfect session beer for those hot summer days.

JZ is the man!

Just be aware that the recipes in that book are for 6 gallon batches.;)

I picked this up a while ago, just to help round out my library, and was pleasantly surprised by the beginning chapters. I have not read too many of the recipes yet, but I do plan on sitting down and reading each one.

My only problem is that they seem to choose hops for many styles that I would not use. Not a big deal, but about the only qualm I can think of!

Latest posts

Back