Brewing Cider - How to source the apple juice?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ListerH

Reaction score
I have been wanting to brew a cider for a while... and am aware that there is a decent amount of science in apple varieties to be aware of, with the concentrations of malic acid and tannin being the primary considerations.

Now unfortunately, I don't live in an area where I can source a wide variety of apples, let alone cider apples... and on top of that, I find the idea of pressing that many apples a put off!

So... any cider brewers out there... how do you go about sourcing your apple juice?

I buy my cider from the local farmers. Some I buy by the gallon and others if you show up on press day they will just fill your fermenter at a cheaper cost. I believe you can use apple juice although I never have.

There is a cider forum which should have a lot of useful information for you.

I've made OK cider with juice from the grocery store and Walmart.
Simply Apple is a juice in the cold section of your supermarket, it goes on sale every 3-4 weeks to keep the stock moving. I think it makes a decent fermented cider, but some say they don't like it.
Try small batches of whatever juice you can get and see if it suits your taste.
I just did a boiled cider using Martinelli's cider I got when it was 1/2 price, It came out better than I expected, I'm going to age it with some barrel chips.

Latest posts

Back