Brewing Calculations

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Audiacious

Reaction score
So I am a college science student, who has to know some computer programming for my major. As such I am brushing up on my programing skills, and am making a basic computer program to do some conversions, and calculate some values like ABV, IBU, and AAU and such. Since I am still relatively new, I do not know all these equations, and for the sake of completeness, I am wondering what equations would be good to have in a program, and what the equation itself is. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

I fear you are going to have to do some research. Look at a program like Beersmith and all the calculations that figures. There are so many you could include.

ABV is (OG-FG) x 131.25

your hop calculations can be found here:

http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter5-5.html

Maybe .......... maybe not. It seems that calculation is incorrect for high alcohol beers. (See brewers Freind for some explanation).

I'd really like to see a program that combines the two, whereby low abv beers are with the calculation above, and high are with the other, and use a combination for mid level abv. A single calculation for all beers.

Maybe a program that uses correct fermentatbility of ingredients; such as simple sugar additions ferment more than 100% (apparent attenuation) and lactose doesn't ferment. Most programs just default to 75% for all ingredients.

A program that can predict fermentability of wort based on mash temps and procedures; again most programs just default to 75% regardless of mash temp. This may be too much for your project.

I'm sure given enough time I could think of lots that I would like to see

If you just want to copy some one elses work, I'd suggest finding out what calculators there are out there, and googling the equations. Some of the calculators are basedon empiracle data (example, the abv calculation above, and refractometer corrections), so there is no guarantee they are correct for every situation.

I fear you are going to have to do some research. Look at a program like Beersmith and all the calculations that figures. There are so many you could include.

Does beer smith list out the equations and such used or no?? that would be the main issue. Also this is my research, as what i was finding was conflicting.

John Palmer's book/website, How To Brew is pretty chock full of calculations. At least a couple to a handful per section.

+1 for looking at Beersmith.

Your going to find this is a deep dark rabbit hole for programming. Even tho, IBU's/ABV..etc have simple formulas, there are variables such as OG. Then getting OG, there are variables such as efficiency. Efficiency, there are variables such as brewing methods, mash tun thermal effects, etc.

As a, long long time ago, computer programmer enthusiast (think Commodore 64), I applaud your efforts, but with the limited time you appear to have, I'd recommend spending $30 on the program.

+1 for looking at Beersmith.

Your going to find this is a deep dark rabbit hole for programming. Even tho, IBU's/ABV..etc have simple formulas, there are variables such as OG. Then getting OG, there are variables such as efficiency. Efficiency, there are variables such as brewing methods, mash tun thermal effects, etc.

As a, long long time ago, computer programmer enthusiast (think Commodore 64), I applaud your efforts, but with the limited time you appear to have, I'd recommend spending $30 on the program.

You may actually know the language im using then, Fortran 77 lol. This is more of a learning tool for me, in both the math that goes into brewing, and my programming skills. In my field, Meteorology, many of the models are still programmed in fortran so its good practice for me.

Fortran? "That's a name I haven't heard in a long time...a long time."

I know right. Most weather models are still programmed in it for "ease" when upgrading. Pain in the ass though. I'll post up the program once I get to a good point

Back