Brewing Bloopers and Blunders

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedGuitar

Reaction score
We've all made them, and sometimes they are downright funny (and valuable learning experiences). So what are some of yours?

I'll start:

A few batches ago, without thinking about it I poured all 3 pounds of DME into my boiling wort. If you do that, it is impossible to stir fast enough to dissolve the DME. Instead, the DME will clump together on the top, forming a very solid lid. The problem with this is the rising, very hot bubbles that need to escape from the liquid underneath. It will explode.

This past weekend, I rehydrated my yeast in water that was about 160* (I should really have paid closed attention). Yeast cannot survive at that temperature, and will not ferment your beer afterwards.

I also fell while carrying 5 gallons of sanitized water in my brew bucket down the basement stairs. The good news is, my entire basement is sanitized. The bad news is, I broke my hydrometer (but nothing else, thankfully).

My favorite is forgetting to put the fermcap in my wort. I just use airlocks. Nothing like finding the lid completely blown off your primary and tons of wort and krausen leaking out the bottom of your drop freezer.

Back