Brewing as a Couple

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kylelp

Reaction score
Hey Folks,

I was just wondering how many people brew with their wife/husband or significant other.

So far my wife and I have done 1 extract together, she's done 2 partial extracts with my help and i've done 2 BIAB with her help.

Sorry if this topic has already been posted

I was surprised, I bought ingredients for my first all grain and bought a partial kit for her, kinda for fun but knowing i was most likely was gonna brew it. Low and behold, I was gone and came back on a sunday afternoon and the mashing just started when i walked in the door. It does help that she likes to go to breweries and try different beers.

Mine does wine with me..I'm brewing beer solo.
She never says a word about my mess though, as I always leave her kitchen cleaner then I when I started and make sure I'm cleaned up and out of her way for cooking.

My girlfriend has helped on one or two brew days, and once bottling. Me and her did a batch of wine together though.

I really do wish my wife liked to brew with me. However she does not like most beers. We did find she liked sours and I thought she might enjoy making a kettle sour, but she didnt :(

i do the exact opposite of this. i wait til my wife is out getting her hair done to brew. at least then when she gets home and smells fresh wort i can complement her new dew and we're even. I love the smell of wort, but the feeling is not mutual.

Same here. I try to keep her away when I'm brewing. Either she goes somewhere, or stays inside, while I'm in the basement and outside brewing. Works better that way. ;)

Same here. I try to keep her away when I'm brewing. Either she goes somewhere, or stays inside, while I'm in the basement and outside brewing. Works better that way. ;)

I agree, I love my wife, but some activities are best done alone...

My wife is always volunteering to help but somehow is never around!

She loves my Pilsner and Haus Ale so I make sure to keep those on tap and it's all good.

My husband doesn't like the smell of the wort so he goes to Home Depot, does yardwork, or goes fishing while I brew.

My wife has no interest in helping me brew. She is more interested in the labels my daughter makes for my beers.

Sometimes my wife will sit outside with me while I'm brewing, particularly if it's a nice day. She usually doesn't get involved in the brewing process, though unless I need an extra hand for a few minutes. I actually don't mind brewing alone. I can enjoy some personal time or watch reruns of Mystery Science Theater for a whole afternoon while making beer.

A close girlfriend of hers just started brewing. Maybe we'll all get together and do a large batch one of these weeks.

My wife helps out by preparing lunch for the "jovial curmudgeon" brew crew. Then she sneaks out and grabs some spent grains to make the peanut butter dog biscuits. We make cheese & sausage together, but not beer. When we're on the road in the RV we hit all the breweries and together we review them for our blog....www.twobrewdogs.com

My wife and I do a lot together, but brewing is not one of them. Maybe someday, but I really don't think she'll ever have any interest. She does enjoy drinking them when she's in a beer mood.

My wife loves to brew and has done 4 or 5 extract kits with a little or no help from me. She has made some great IPAs and a chocolate milk stout that was delish. We always bottle together but when we brew one of us usually takes the lead based on who's recipe it is. I don't see her ever doing all grain but that's fine, she makes tasty beer!

In the early 80's I shared a brew rig with a friend and his wife. All of us plus relatives pitched in to brew but we were keeping 4 beer drinking families in beer... When I moved in the early 90's I sold my half of the brew gear, then he got a divorce and had to sell out. Pity because we were doing 20 gallon batches every 2 weeks(different family brewing, made it legal as far as the 200(typo, was thinking alternative fuel limit) gallon a year limit). We had a rented space in a basement with a walk in that was sweet. Had a big TV on the wall, bar setup, sound system... it was a family gathering space that we all shared. All of us were related(my friend was a cousin) and we all pitched in including wives because it kept football parties out of their houses!

Back