Brewing a honey IPA tonight...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carbon111

Reaction score
This is my recipe:

5 gal batch

5 lbs Amber DME
3 lbs Clover Honey (dark) - added at end of boil
1 lb Crystal 60

1 oz Magnum - 60 min
.5 oz Galena - 60 min
1 oz Tettnanger + Whirlfloc tab - 15 min
.25 oz crushed ceylon cinnamon (stick) - 10 min
1 oz Tettnanger - 5 min
1 oz Willamette - dry hop 7 days

Nottingham yeast

I'm using honey because I've got a *bunch* of it and need to pad the DME as well as add a little flavor. Used a very small amount of real cinnamon (very mild) for just the slightest hint of "something". ;)

Edit:
Everything went without a hitch. OG is 1.067 we'll see how far it drops...

nice old school Zaphod..
the recipe sounds nice, put the honey in last ( flame out) for more of that expected honey taste. put it in after you mash/before the boil ,if you dont want to taste it and just are using the fermentables...honey will ferment out like 98% so i wouldnt use a dry yeast with gypsum if your planning on that ..im sure itll be great though

Yep, thanks! Zaphod is one hoopy frood! :D

I was planning on the honey at flameout (see note above) as I do want a little of that flavor to permeate.

I used a bunch of Tettnanger for flavor because , well, I love that flavor...a holdover from when I used to drink a lot of Redhook ESB. I think the Magnum and Galena will give it a nice bitter punch though.

It will be interesting (fun!) to see how all these ingredients end up working together. :mug:

Back