Brewhouse Kit Hack for Oktoberfest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NLBrewer

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I consider myself a avid but very novice home brewer. I've always stuck with the nice and easy Brewhouse liquid wort kits - they product great beer for very minimal effort.

Oktoberfest brews have just started hitting the local stores here lately and I absolutely love them - probably one of my favourite styles of beer. It got me thinking about how I could create a similar style by hacking one of the Brewhouse Kits.

My thoughts are to take a Red Ale kit and maybe add some bittering hops by boiling some of the wort with the hops and then dry hopping in the primary after.

http://www.rjscraftwinemaking.com/product/Brewhouse-Red-Ale

They list on the website that their Red Ale is between a German Alt Beer and Oktoberfest. I've brewed a Red Ale kit before and was a bit underwhelmed by it but the hop additions I think would a big difference.

Just wondering if anyone has done something similar with the Brewhouse kits before. I've seen some other Brewhouse kit hacks that use a similar process (Irish Stout). I'm not even sure if what I propose would get me a similar style beer to an Oktoberfest but I think it could be good.

They used to have a seasonal Oktoberfest but they did a Pumpkin Ale kit this year instead.

Cheers!

http://www.bulkapothecary.com/produ...redient-kit/?gclid=CO_FvuiFmboCFeRj7AodTCgACg

I made this oktoberfest as my first brew, and the LHBS had it on the shelf. According to the instructions and the friendly help at the store it is safe for fermentation at ale temps, but one should shoot for low 60's.

I've since switched to all grain and made a very nice oktoberfest ale, but i forget where i got the recipe. There are a few on the site, and they are similar mine may actually be a mix of a few on here.

Latest posts

Back