Brewfather Profile for Brewer's Edge Mash & Boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello! After successfully completing a couple of brews from LHBS kits using a Brewer's Edge Mash & Boil, I've been interested in getting a deeper understanding of how recipes are made and how to brew better beer in general (e.g. water adjustments, etc.). Through my research, Brewfather came up a number of times as a useful tool, so I decided to give it a shot. The software itself seems very powerful, and comes with a ton of equipment profiles, but unfortunately not one for the Mash & Boil. I've tried to create my own equipment profile (see attached) based on my limited experience and would greatly appreciate it if someone more knowledgeable could take a look and let me know if anything looks inaccurate. I just want to make sure I'm starting from a sensible place. Appreciate the support and am looking forward to learning more about brewing! :mug:

Attachments

• profile1.png
    profile1.png
    95.7 KB · Views: 9
  • profile2.png
    profile2.png
    104.4 KB · Views: 9
What's up man! I also have a Mash & Boil, (2 actually), and from what I can see you've got most of it set the way I would do it. The thing about these profiles is, that its got a lot to do with your personal process than it does with the equipment itself. For instance, I noticed that your mash thickness ratio was set to 1.29 and you've selected no sparge. Perfectly acceptable way to do it if you're going to top up at the end of the boil like you said.

I like to mash thinner and recirculate/stir more often, and then I also do a sparge to reach my desired pre-boil volume. So I guess what I'm saying is that even though we have the same setup, doesn't necessarily mean our parameters will be the same. Things like boil-off amount, grain losses, and efficiencies will all be based on your own process. What I did with brewersfriend.com (this is neither right or wrong, just a way to do it) is to set each parameter as close to what I thought it should be, then brew the beer. If something didn't line up right, or was WAY off, I adjusted it for the next batch. Just a process of fine-tuning your software to match your real world stats.

Hope this helps!

Back