Brewer's library

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sieglere

Reaction score
I was looking for a reading list of books to take my brewing and knowledge to the next level. I'm an engineer, but not a chemist/biologist, so technical works are appreciated, but I might lack some background for very advanced papers.

Thoughts on a reading list/books to add to my library?

Currently all I have is the complete joy of homebrewing (the brewer's bible)

Brewing Classic Styles by Jamil Zainasheff & John Palmer, Yeast by Chris White and J.Z., and Designing Great Beers by Ray Daniels are my first three suggestions.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Radical brewing by Randy Mosher and Brew Like a Monk by Stan Hieronymus are both good reads. I also suggest having a copy of How To Brew around, I still find myself using it all the time

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Home Brew mobile app

Definitely keep away from the 'Water' book from Palmer in that case.... I love math, and I am a strong reader, but that 'water' book bored me to tears and was difficult to grasp.... KEEP AWAY Mr. NonChemist

Deeds' Brewing Engineering might be of interest, given your engineering background. The book is packed with cool empirical data on various aspects of brewing.

The Palmer book, How To Brew, is essential, IMO. Also, Brew Like A Monk, if you are interested in Belgians.

Edit: Another good resource is the BeerSmith blog, which has lots of excellent articles and podcasts. I just downloaded a bunch of the podcasts onto my MP3 player to listen while commuting.

Let's see...

How To Brew
Yeast
Designing Great Beers
Brewing Classic Styles
Brewing Better Beer

Radical Brewing was decent and Brew Like a Monk was great if you like history mixed with some recipe discussion.

I agree on holding off on Water, being a chemical engineer with a focus on chemistry, this was quite dry. Reading the forums here will get you up to speed with water chemistry faster.

And for the ride into work, listened to almost all of Brewstrong, The Jamil Show, and Beersmith podcast on 2x speed with fast forwarding through the commercials. Lots of good information if you cut through the banter and ads.

To be honest, the podcasts were a phenomenal source of learning.

Back