Breweries to visit in Portland, OR area

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Auger

Reaction score
I am getting married next year and we're planning our honeymoon now. We struck a deal that we can go to Alaska so she can look for a moose, and then we'll to go Portland so I can visit breweries (I think I come out ahead on both counts, but anyway). I'm looking for suggestions on the best places to hit up in Portland. We'll be there for 4-5 days. Just on a cursory look, so far I'm looking at:

Full Sail
Deschutes
Widmer
Rogue

I'm now looking for some less-mainstream options that have good or unique offerings. And, go.

(Also if anyone has suggestions for Anchorage, feel free.)

Looking for a moose? If that means hunting trip for your honeymoon you have a keeper. Deschutes is a good place as far as respectable beer and great atmosphere. I'm not huge on Rogue; but, that is me. Widmer I wouldn't bother with personally and Full Sail I have no experience with other than their beer is ok, on par with Deschutes. My far and away favorite place in Portland is Cascade Barrel House. HUB makes some pretty good beers too. The Horse Brass Pub is a famous place, good to stop by even though its not a brewery.

No, no hunting...she just wants to see one in the wild (she loves big hairy animals I guess). Thanks for the tips...why skip Widmer, any particular reason? or just "eh" in general?

When is Alaska - Alaskan Brewery, a lot of brews don't make it to the lower 48.

Another vote for Deschutes, Rouge, Bridgeport, Hair of the Dog, McMenamins in Kennedy School is pretty cool their brews are so,so...

No, no hunting...she just wants to see one in the wild (she loves big hairy animals I guess). Thanks for the tips...why skip Widmer, any particular reason? or just "eh" in general?

Widmer and Redhook are the same company with Bud being a major stake holder...that in of itself I don't really care about, what I do care about is that it seems to me that large scale operations seem to produce lifeless beer. I don't know it is, you'd think with all the knowledge places like Bud and MGD have they could make outstanding IPA's and the like, but they completely fail IMO. I don't know what it is in their production, but it just seems to be missing something. Widmer beers fall into that category for me.

I go to Portland whenever I can (usually every couple years). The one brewery I NEVER skip is McMenamins Edgefield in Troutdale (just a few minutes from the Portland airport). It has to be the coolest brewery I've ever been to. The beers are nothing extraordinary, but good. It's the place itself that is incredible. It's located on 40 acres with a beautiful old brick hotel with a very cool history. There is the brewery, a winery, AND a distillery on the grounds. There are numerous little bars and restaurants scattered around the place so a beer or whatever is never far. There is a spa for the wife to get a massage or whatever, and a incredible pitch and putt golf course that winds through the grounds. I'm by no means a golfer, but I love to play here! They rent clubs for a few bucks in the distillery. Sooo much to see there, when I stumbled upon this place I tripped around for 3 hours before I realized I didn't even have a beer yet! Grounds are immaculate and the artwork throughout is amazing. You can look it up online to get a taste of what it is, but I guaranty you will love it. I've taken a number of friends there and they have all been blown away. Enjoy your trip and don't miss this place, you will find yourself spending a whole day here!

Hair of the Dog!!!!!!

Cascade!!!!!!

Stay at the Edgefield!!!!!

Lucky Labrador Beer Hall

New Old Lompoc Brewery

Hopworks Urban Brewery

:tank: have fun

When is Alaska - Alaskan Brewery, a lot of brews don't make it to the lower 48.

It looks like this place is in Juneau...we'll be in Anchorage, so won't be able to get down to the brewery, but I'll certainly keep an eye out for their beers.

I'm going to be at the Edgefield in a few weeks myself, haven't been there so I can't speak to it; but, I have heard enough good stuff that its worth the visit. I agree their beers aren't spectacular though as we have a small McMenamins nearby. As far as Anchorage, the only beer I have had from any of their breweries is Midnight Sun, good beer.

Back