Brewed my first batch.. Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I brewed my first batch today using a BSG kit. Everything went well besides dropping the Groument into my wort, but after reading a post from here, hopefully I will be OK... Question that I have is, I first Brewed with an experienced Brewer with a mash tun, but I've only brewed one batch by myself, how long should I brew extract before switching to using a mash tun? I feel like I'm ready, today was rather easy compared to brewing with my friend. Also, I currently have a bucket fermenter, what are the thoughts of a bucket v. A glass carboy?.. Any help and insight will be appreciated.

Bucket fermenter is fine unless you're going to be bulk aging for several months to years. As to the all grain jump... Go for it whenever you feel like it. It's really not that much more difficult than brewing extract. My first brew was all grain BIAB and it came out great, there's nothing stopping you.

I agree with Spelaeus..... Switch when you are ready. There is no magic time that you are "suppose to." 1 batch..... 100 batches - whatever works for you.
Buckets are great for the vast majority of fermentations. Extended ferments and long aging.... then maybe something different.

You can brew with extracts forever. You may be ready to take on the extra variables with all grain brewing when you can make a great beer with extracts.
All grain is not the magic wand to great beers. All grain offers the opportunity to tailor a recipe to your specific tastes.

I know people who brewed their very first batch all grain and others (who are now professionals) who brewed extract for about 10 years before making the switch. The point is, there is no magical batch that says, "OK, this is your last extract batch." Start by figuring out what equipment that you're going to need and what is nice to upgrade and start gathering as your budget will allow. What a few youTube videos and brew with a friend or two. Read "How To Brew" (either the book or the web site) and get a calculator (there are lots online or free software - like Brew Target). Once you get your stuff, figure out your volume and temperature losses and brew.

Must have equipment:
  1. A mash tun - many people use a cooler (rectangular or round) with a screen (false bottom or stainless brain)
  2. Big enough kettle - figure about 50% more than the batch size you're doing. If you're doing 5 gallon batches - 7.5 gallon is fine
  3. Something to heat the water - most folks use an outdoor gas burner. I would recommend against a turkey fryer (they have a timer) and get one of these (http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/outdoor-gourmet-10-qt-propane-fish-fryer-set/pid-27743?N=578846088)
  4. Something to cool the wort down quickly - some folks swear by counter-flow chillers, I use a plate chiller

Things that you're going to want:
  1. Digital thermometer
  2. Refractometer

There are other things that you'll want/need and this list will obviously grew well beyond your wildest dreams. As you continue to brew, you'll start your quest for the perfectly brewed pint. I'll give you a hint -- it's not at your local bottle shop.

I brew both ways it depends on what kind of beer i want, sometimes its easier to just make a extract kit like the bsg ones and sometimes i do an allgrain for that additional "my own" flavor both are great and both require the same cleanliness routines and attention to detail!

I've always been a bucket guy. My glass carboy is used for side things... like apfelwein and such. I disliked the carboy - the luster of seeing fermentation wore off quickly. They are heavy, cumbersome, difficult to clean, they don't stack for storage, and they can be dangerous if they break. It's personal preference, and to each their own. For me, buckets are just easier to work with and much easier to clean. Carboys have their strengths - they don't scratch, you can see the fermentation, less O2 permeability, and less chance something falls in.

I use buckets & the Cooper's Micro Brew FV I started with. Bottling bucket & a 6G BB for the occasional secondary. I never stack them, as the insides of the buckets could get scratched. My own paranoia?...maybe. But better safe than sorry.
I brew anything from AE, E/SG to pb/pm biab. They all have their merits. But I will say this- I did AE & E/SG combinations for a couple years before finally feeling that I was ready to try PM. And BIAB just made it easier & cheaper to start mashing with the same 5 gallon (20qt) SS stock pot I started with. So don't switch up till you understand the processes involved with mashing, let alone giving yourself the time to develope a good brewing process that works for you. :mug:

Thanks for the advice. I currently have a 7.5 or 8 gallon kettle, and I have a couple of digital thermometers (My other hobby is BBQing, I built an Ugly Drum Smoker last summer). For my first batch, I just used the stove to boil my wort. If I did buy the fish fryer, whats the risk of brewing outside since you wouldn't want the propane in the house? Also where do you find the screen for the cooler? I have seen a mash tun without a screen but never with.

Well, running out of propane in the middle of the boil would be one. Then having the heat too high & it boils over. Those screens can be had from on-line suppliers. Just have a look around.

Back