Brewed an ipa

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brew4allMI

Reaction score
I brewed an IPA today using a partial mash.

5.5lb dme (2lb added 15min boil to reduce carmelization and preserve golden color in final)
1.5 lb 2 row
10oz crystal 10
8oz victory malt

A according to hopville my OG should have been 1.060 but it came out to 1.049 any ideas on what happened or what I could expect in the final product?

5 gallon batch?

Unless you messed up the mashing of the grain and didn't get conversion the hopville calculation always comes out darn close for me.

What was your hop schedule?

Like jayhem said, as long as you mashed at a good temp for a good time and got good conversion, and have the final batch size the recipe is created for, then you probably just have an erroneous gravity reading. Beersmith estimates a starting gravity of 1.062 for that recipe; the DME alone in a 5gallon batch is the gravity you claim to have reached. I know that extract batches are more prone to stratification (i.e. heavier/sugarier solution sinking leaving lighter/less_sugary solution towards the top), and if you pulled your sample from the upper portion of your wort then you may have just got some less_sugary wort.

dkm11b said:
i punched in your grain bill to beercalculus, and it got 1.044 for your OG.

Thanks for doing that. I mashed at 150-155 for 45 mins with 1.5 gal of water then sparked with 1 gal at 170 then boil. Cooled and diluted wort to 5 gal.

Looks like I will be ok with the final product. Used wlp001 for yeast

Hop schedule
1oz 60 min nugget 11aa
.25oz 45 min centennial 8.7aa
.25 oz 20min cascade 6.2aa
.25oz 15 min centennial 8.7aa
.25oz 1 min cascade 6.2aa

Will dry hop 7 days with .25 oz centennial and .25 oz cascade

It is tough to fully mix your wort together with the top off water. A lot of partial boil brewers report bad gravity readings.

Personally for an IPA I would dry hop with at least 2 full ounces of hops and if your OG is actually 1.060 I would shoot for 60-70 IBU's.

Like jayhem said, as long as you mashed at a good temp for a good time and got good conversion, and have the final batch size the recipe is created for, then you probably just have an erroneous gravity reading. Beersmith estimates a starting gravity of 1.062 for that recipe; the DME alone in a 5gallon batch is the gravity you claim to have reached. I know that extract batches are more prone to stratification (i.e. heavier/sugarier solution sinking leaving lighter/less_sugary solution towards the top), and if you pulled your sample from the upper portion of your wort then you may have just got some less_sugary wort.

That conclusion does make sense and I did pull off from the top. I am hoping all goes well with fermentation all the way to the final product. Not too sure if the beer will be "too light" due to the miscue in gravity readings or my gravity was fine from the get go. well see.

Back