Brewed a coffee stout, kind of lacking in body...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m_c_zero

Reaction score
Greetings,

I brewed a 5 gallon batch of coffee stout following this recipe on AHA:

https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/homebrew-recipe/beer-recipe-of-the-week-coffee-stout/

It turned out pretty tasty but kind of thin on the body. The coffee flavor is definitely there and quite a bit of bitterness/roastiness from the coffee carried over. It is moderately sweet but could use a touch more sweetness.

It's already kegged but I would like to see what I can do to add some more body to the beer. I have read about adding lactose post fermentation and also have read about adding maltodextrin post fermentation. I understand that lactose does add some sweetness while maltodextrin does not.

Anyhow, I'm looking for suggestions on what you guys would go with and how much to add. I don't want to alter the flavor of the beer too much but it definitely needs a bit of creaminess to complement the style.

Thanks!

You could substitute some of the base malt for flaked barley, say 2 lbs. That's only about 5% crystal too, if my bad maths in my head is right.

Edit: sorry, didn't comprehend right away that you meant how to fix this already brewed beer. I don't have a feel for adding lactose or maltodex after fermentation. But it sound like worth a shot. I'd add measured grams to a poured pint to gauge impact.

I was thinking of going lactose since it would make it more like a coffee milk stout. I've never used either so I don't know if one would work better than the other.

Oh, I'd try both. Try a gram of each in measured pints, see which tastes better. You might want to do some of both.

How long has it been in the keg? My beers often feel thin before they're fully conditioned, and stouts take an extra long time to fully condition. I wouldn't think of monkeying with it until it's been in the keg and on gas for at least 4 weeks, probably more.

I'm with JonM. Stouts and porters take some time to mature and when they do they seem to gain body. Park that keg somewhere at room temp so the beer can mature and brew something lighter in color and alcohol to fill in while your stout gets good.

It's been in the keg a bit over a week now at 10 PSI. I recently cranked it up to 12 PSI to get it a little more carbed since it was tasting a little flat. Having it properly conditioned and carbed may add some mouthfeel to it but I'm looking to add some creaminess. You think letting it sit would do it?

I'm nearly 100% certain that conditioning will add body and mouth feel.

And FWIW, I think 12 psi is a little high for a stout at least for my tastes. I'd let it sit at 10psi in the fridge for at least a month.

Never thought about doing that. I always keg after fermentation completes and then it goes into the keezer set to 45 degrees.

Meant to mention that this brew is an extract beer so I'm not sure if it would change much after time. I went ahead and added 8oz of lactose dissolved into 2 cups of water last night and it really helped boost the body and creaminess of the beer.

I had brewed a dry Irish stout with US-05. FG was 1.006. Good flavor but very thin body. I added a tablespoon of maltodextrin solution to each 20 ounce pour. Worked very well to add the body back to the stout without added sweetness.

I tested both lactose and maltodextrin at .75g per oz of beer. Both did add noticeable body to the beer. I felt the lactose added a more well-rounded body to it though and the flavor meshed well with the style. The maltodextrin seemed to add a little bit too much thickness.

Back