BrewDog Tokio (or Tokyo) Cone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BiffBiffman

Reaction score
I have some buddies that absolutely love this beer, but at $13 per 11.2oz bottle is tough to digest. I've searched the forum and the googles and i cannot seem to find a clone recipe. Anyone have any ideas? All grain of course.

Thanks in Advance!

Cloning Tokyo* seems like a nigh impossible feat to me. The only thing that allows for hope is that they themselfs have moved the recipe around a lot over the years, so if you are not exactly the same you know they weren´t either.
I´ve had the 18,2% and 16,5%, with the former being superior as it was more balanced and less sweet. Aprechiated the extra cranberry in 16, but 18 seemed to have more jasmine. Grab some 18s if you can and age them.
I even had a bottle of the elisusive first batch from May of 2008 (iirc around 12% only originally), which they forgot on highland whisky barrels for over 4 years (took it up to 13,2%). Mind blown. Completly.

Anyhow, so I know this brew and love it. You can get some info on the current version from the website
IBU's:
Malts:
Marris Otter, Dark Crystal, Caramalt, Chocolate Malt, Roast Barley
Hops:
Galena

That is something. You also know the abv you wanne go for and that they use cranberrys, jasmine, and french toasted oak chips. Also that they dryhop a lot.

Now how much of which malt is an open question. Same with the cranberrys and jasmine. Which form where they added in? Heavy, medium, or light toasted oak chips? Which yeast? More than one maybe?

I obviously recon a lot of dark malt to balance the big residual sugar sweetness and the three additions thrown in after the bulk of fermentation is done, with the chips being seperate from the rest to control exposure time. Oh and I´d mash really low to get max fermentables in order to reach the abv and rely pretty much purely on the caramalts for sweetnes.

Lot of moving parts to pin down here. While the Brewdog guys are extremely nice and helpful, I doubt that they would give you many pointers, but if you are extremely friendly and lucky maybe enough to get you in the ballpark. Could try a hail merry and ask em.

Hope that somehow helps you.

I just learned that the Jasmine apparently gets added during the whirlpool. Got that info from Brewdog replying to a comment on a blogpost.

Back