BrewDog Brewing releases entire recipe catalog

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking at the first recipe, do we know what IBU calculation they're using? On the punk IPA it seems like the IBU's would be well over 60 (I generally use the beersmith default: tinseth)

Looking at the first recipe, do we know what IBU calculation they're using? On the punk IPA it seems like the IBU's would be well over 60 (I generally use the beersmith default: tinseth)

I always wonder if they are using actual IBU's, as tested by a lab rather than theoretical.

Title says it all, the Scottish brewery BrewDog just released ever recipe it has for you to download, 215 in total to try out. Some are quite simple others are quite complex, just about every style is available. Check it out and get experimenting. The don't have times in their hop schedule but I'd guess it'd be 60 minutes for bittering, 20-15 for flavor, 5 minutes for aroma.

https://www.brewdog.com/diydog
https://www.brewdog.com/lowdown/blog/diy-dog

giggle.gif

Are you laughing at me for saying rad? I say it all the time. I'm bringing it back man!

I don't buy their beers because they're expensive. Last one I picked up was $8 for a 12 oz and it was an IPA that was already old.

Kind of a newbie question but they say that their sours are "kettle soured". Is that a sour mash technique or a sour wort? Is that pre-boil? Just curious as I haven't really seen it phrased that way.

Kettle souring is adding a pure lactobacillus culture to the brew kettle. After mashing is finished and all the sweet wort is in the kettle, the temperature is lowered to 110 F and lacto is added. The temperature is held at least overnight and pH is measured. Once the pH you are aiming for is achieved the kettle temp is raised to at least 180 F to kill off the bugs. Depending on what you are going for, you could then raise the temp to boiling and add some hops.

[threads with identical topics merged]

You think thats bad. I had to merge 7 threads on this yesterday because all our forumites on Thehomebrewforum.co.uk were so exited about this release. They kept starting new ones

Huge props to these guys. I am a fan of the show as they don't take themselves too seriously. But now got lots of respect. Plus they will ultimately profit for the effort which is smart business.

Oh and btw I could care less what units they use. It's all easy to convert.

Oh and btw I could care less what units they use. It's all easy to convert.

If you use BeerSmith, you can type in whatever grams and it will convert for you

Type in 28.375g, hit TAB and it will convert to 1oz

neat move, i've done the punk ipa, with decent succes, from a clone book before.

Nice to see them walk the walk as well.

I'm wanting to try this, Punk IPA. I seen BBS has the 1G recipe and since BrewDog has released their recipes to the public that definitely makes it easier.

While it's true that many of our favorite breweries are very generous with homebrewers when it comes to their recipes, very few of them would release them in such a nice package.

This PDF so aesthetically pleasing, well put together, and full of useful information, that it could have easily been printed and sold in paperback form.

Thanks Brew Dogs for giving it away.

They are giving signed hardback copies away only to current shareholders who re-invest in new shares.

That is pretty neat. Too bad I have never had a beer I enjoyed from them. Although I live in AZ so I can't imagine its a very nice trip for the beer...

Quite a few breweries do this. Here are some as listed on the AHA's site, http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/how-to-brew/craft-breweries-share-homebrew-clone-recipes/

The last time I checked, some had page not found errors, but quite a few were still working. Lots of them will give you recipe details if you email them and just ask. Just don't expect them to convert the recipe to 5 gallon batch size for you.

Not saying there aren't other breweries that have been very kind about sharing recipes but nobody has done this...no other brewery has taken the time to prepare a catalog of over 200 beers for homebrewing. Very Nice.

You think thats bad. I had to merge 7 threads on this yesterday because all our forumites on Thehomebrewforum.co.uk were so exited about this release. They kept starting new ones

Oh, we've had WAY more than 7. This is how I've spent my time lately- merging a brand new "BrewDog releases recipes" thread every few minutes it seems like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back