BREWCAST 10-27-09 E-HERMS/Closed System Cooling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is a nice one to look at... this is one I started for my upcoming Helles

HellesEff.bmp

Thanks that helps, the only thing I am seeing is that I am mashing a lock thicker and my conversion efficiency is out of whack right off the bat.

I mashed with 12qts, added 6qts during a recirc to bring the temp up for mash out temps so my first wort was 1.053 with a total of 18 qts added to the mash with right at 9lbs of grain in the bill. The conversion efficiency is 277% with those numbers???

Thanks that helps, the only thing I am seeing is that I am mashing a lock thicker and my conversion efficiency is out of whack right off the bat.

I mashed with 12qts, added 6qts during a recirc to bring the temp up for mash out temps so my first wort was 1.053 with a total of 18 qts added to the mash with right at 9lbs of grain in the bill. The conversion efficiency is 277% with those numbers???

Your mash isnt that thick, it is 2qt/lb.

According to Kaisers chart, your conversion eff. was 84%

I dont know how you are getting 277%

Your mash isnt that thick, it is 2qt/lb.

According to Kaisers chart, your conversion eff. was 84%

I dont know how you are getting 277%

Thanks, your spreadsheet looks a little different than mine which I got from Kaisers link in his sig here. Where did you get the spreadsheet?

I was mentioning the thicker mash, because the mash was actually done with 12qts, but I circulated a additional 6qts of hot water in to bring the wort up to 170F so that may have skewed my first wort figure since that 6qts of water essentially diluted the mash a bit but who knows, I am not a scientist :cross:

Thanks, your spreadsheet looks a little different than mine which I got from Kaisers link in his sig here. Where did you get the spreadsheet?

I was mentioning the thicker mash, because the mash was actually done with 12qts, but I circulated a additional 6qts of hot water in to bring the wort up to 170F so that may have skewed my first wort figure since that 6qts of water essentially diluted the mash a bit but who knows, I am not a scientist :cross:

You can only use the FIRST RUNNINGS as a gague of the SG for conversion eff. figuring. So, if you have 18qts in there, it is 2qt/lb.

Of course it will dilute it, but Kai's chart will use only the 18qt quantity to figure it.

You can only use the FIRST RUNNINGS as a gague of the SG for conversion eff. figuring. So, if you have 18qts in there, it is 2qt/lb.

Of course it will dilute it, but Kai's chart will use only the 18qt quantity to figure it.

Somehow I knew that but went ahead with it, I suppose I should have just taken a sample before adding the water, oh well next time.

This was the first time I did the recirculation and I definitely need some fine tuning on the process. Thanks for the help.

This one is coming out of cold ferment today. Warming up for a day, then transferring to the corny to get dropped to 40F for about 6 weeks!

I will update with a gravity reading later.

After 3 weeks at 53F, this beer is at 1.008! Sample tasted AMAZING.

Back