Brew stand for rectangular cooler MLT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ziggityz

Reaction score
I've looked though about every brew stand thread known to man and I can't find a standard for a one burner rectangular cooler MLT set up. Most of the rigs I see are for HERMS or RIMS systems.... anyone have a rig for this set up that works well?

If I'm understanding you correctly, you have one burner that I assume you use to heat your strike water and to boil with. If this is the case, all you really need is a table that puts the valve of your MLT higher than the top of your BK when it is sitting on your burner. You can just pour your strike and sparge water into your MLT assuming you batch sparge. People who fly sparge using gravity instead of a pump will often use a small shelving unit. The sparge water tank goes on the top shelf. The MLT goes in the middle, and the BK and burner go on the ground.

yes, I think I have it figured out. I'm going to build a Wallace type stand and attach a blichmann floor burner to it high enough so the valve of my boil kettle (which I will also use to heat my strike water) will be barely higher than my MLT, so I can gravity feed my MLT with strike water and also use to batch sparge. Then just drain my first run of sweet wort into a bucket and pour it back into the boil kettle once my sparge water is out of the kettle... easiest solution I can think of..... Trying to keep it simple

What about using a cooler as a HLT, mounting the MLT above the kettle (so you can lauter directly into the kettle), and pump (or pour) sparge water up into the MLT? I'm about to go this route myself. Either way, you're going to need a temporary holding vessel. It just seems easier for it to hold water instead of wort.

Back