Brew Pump Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pantherbrew

Reaction score
We are pumping from Brew Keg to Chiller submirsed in a ice bath and then back to Brew Keg. I know every one says to buy a chiller and run water through the coil to cool it, but I am very head strong and want to try it this way. With all that being said I need a transfer pump to pump the Wort. Has anyone tried to use a Beverage pump before? I seen this on ebay FLOJET 2125-506 ELECTRIC BIB BEVERAGE PUMP PEPSI COKE. Any help would be great The cheapest transfer pump I can findis like 140.00.

You mainly need to make sure that it is made of food grade parts, and can tolerate the temperatures. From everything that I have read and heard from others B3 makes a really good high temp pump for around 129.

Cheers

A March pump (brand name for magnetic drive transfer pump) works quite well and is pretty "standard" in homebrewing. If you are transferring the wort before it is cooled, I suspect that the beverage pump you mention will not tolerate the heat. Most March pumps are designed to tolerate boiling temperatures. Try www.morebeer.com or www.northernbrewer.com and search for "pump."

pantherbrew said:
We are pumping from Brew Keg to Chiller submirsed in a ice bath and then back to Brew Keg.
I just chilled a 5 gal. batch with a similar method, and I would reccomend saving yourself $140 and don't bother with a pump. Just siphon from the kettle down through the chiller in ice. I've been putting mine in an icewater bucket in the sink with the sprayer nozzle running in the bottom of the bucket. That way, the ice cools the wort quickly at first and the current from the sprayer underneath whisks hot water away from the coils after the ice melts. Heck, the ice may not even be necessary. Below the chiller, run a hose into your fermenter. I've been able to get below 70 in about 10 minutes.

I don't understand your need to pump the wort. I mean eventually you might want to go there for single tier stand, but you're going to have to get the inside of that coil sanitized every brew and as others mentioned, a pump that is food grade and heat safe. Using the coil in a standard immersion chiller configuration is much easier to sanitize. If you need to get the cooling water colder, you can buy a cheap submersible pump to push icewater through the coil once your wort temp comes close to the tap water temp.

If you really want to continue with your plan, you'll want to circulate the boiling wort through the coil for a minute to sanitize, then drop it in the ice bucket. It's going to take a lot of ice and you'll have to keep putting more in as it melts. If you do this inside the house, it will be a huge mess.

Bigfoot Thank you very much that is what i was looking for. Wife wont be happy that there goes another 100.00 but I will be.

pantherbrew said:
Bigfoot Thank you very much that is what i was looking for. Wife wont be happy that there goes another 100.00 but I will be.

No problem; glad to help. I bought two of them from him; both times the service was great with a quick shipping. As a matter of fact, my second one just showed up today...

Back