Brew Panel ? Is this a good panel.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't like the idea of having a brew controller in a plastic housing. I can sees something going horribly wrong and the house burning down.

I like plastic boxes, they are usually pretty tight, and have their own insulating properties.

It's pretty expensive at $800. But, building these boxes is tedious.

I've built several of these boxes, in different configurations. Currently working on one with BCS control, capability to control (2) 4500W elements, one pump, two temp inputs... In parts alone it will cost nearly $600.

I've been looking at electric brew panels and not looking to spend close to 3000 for one.

Found the one below that seemed reasonably priced. Any opinions on this one?

http://www.highgravitybrew.com/store/pc/EBC-III-with-Infinite-Power-Control-p3858.htm

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Personally, I am very happy with my High Gravity Controller and highly recommend them. I have built every part of my 3-vessel AG system and chose to treat myself on this component. I could have built the controller however, I'm not an electrical engineer nor did I want to make the time investment to learn. Granted I did spent countless hours researching the idea of doing it myself. Very happy with my decision. And HG warrants the product as long as you own it... Including return shipping!

Also, to build on a previous comment; I did run the numbers and to build what I wanted was about 80% the cost of having HG do it for me. That was using good quality components. I sometimes find that when folks talk about building these panels on the cheap, they are using generic components. I also know how these projects go for me; I would end up spending more in the end.

As long as you dont mind the fact that your paying about $500 for 2-3 hours labor vs building the exact panel for about $200-300 it is a decent control panel

I paid $600 for a controller that I would have easily spent $400 to build with high quality components. Although the actual labor may have ended up being 3 hours, I would have spent many more procuring parts and planning the build. High Gravity was the right choice for me.

I paid $600 for a controller that I would have easily spent $400 to build with high quality components. Although the actual labor may have ended up being 3 hours, I would have spent many more procuring parts and planning the build. High Gravity was the right choice for me.

Well I wasnt talking about high quality parts... I was comparing the exact part in the high gravity panel... the auber pid is the only "more expensive option" they used and it appears to lack the manual control mode.
the switches they use are 99 cents a piece and the enclosure is the $35 home depot enclosure I myself used..
I'm not saying its not a good choice for those who dont feel comfortable building one... Just that its damn expensive for what it is.
Edit... the smaller high gravity units use actually use the $12 enclosure...and includes maybe $150 in components to build. I could see if they had to pay for electrical certifications but they didnt... These are sold as a "diy" kit so they escape liabilities if there is a problem.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Carlon-6-in-x-4-in-Junction-Box-E987RR/100404096

It should be considered that an electrician (a good one) is $80-100 per hr, and a few bucks spent on safety is no big deal. My problem with most panels is the box, why are the boxes such POS. Drop a hundred on a good box. If any of you have ever seen an electrical fire, they burn super hot, like a MIG torch.

Back