Brew masters

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Padawan

Reaction score
Anyone ever see this, apparently big beer companies scared discovery channel into not airing it. they apparently threatened to pull sponsors.

here is the episode:

Last edited by a moderator:
Um...that was the first episode. Discovery ran the show for a few weeks. The exposure did enough for Dogfish head, to cover the new demand several states were dropped from their distribution. Mine being one to them.

It was a fun show while it lasted, but each episode ended up being the same thing. Some special event coming up, and a very limited time to concoct a crazy beer for it.

Discovery's big enough they don't need big beer money. Plus the whole show catered to an audience that isn't really interested in those companies. I do recall rather appropriate Sam Adams spots though.

here is what i read about the beer companies:

according to The Boston Globe, after some twitter posts by Anthony Bourdain went viral, it has been confirmed that The Discovery Channel has taken the show "Brew Masters" off the air because Big Beer threatened to pull all of their advertising if the show was not canceled.

"Brew Masters," which aired last fall, is a series about Dogfish Head, the craft brewer based in Delaware. The show was scheduled for a six-episode run, after which Discovery and Sam Calagione, the Dofgish Head founder and host of the show, would decide whether to make more episodes. There has been no indication that more episodes are in the works.

This announcement comes a day after Anheuser-Busch announced it's buying one of the country's most revered craft brewers, Chicago-based Goose Island, makers of such beers as Honker's Ale and Bourbon County Brand Stout.

Well, I hate to say it, but the reason it failed was because the show pretty much sucked.

Now, I love Sam! And there were a couple of great moments- but I couldn't sit through one whole episode and I love beer.

It ran a few episodes, but I think it died more due to lack of viewer response than anything else.

In Bev bought Goose Island ages ago, and finalized it about two years ago with the majority interest final then. The show was later.

If you read the whole thing that's not exactly what happened. There wasn't enough audience base, which I can see why unless you're a beer geek. You probably wouldn't want to watch it.

Secondly, what exactly does AB know? He uses the same production company, so that means he knows what's going on? Ridiculous!

In the words of Jeremy Gray from wedding crashers, "Erroneous, erroneous on all accounts!"

It was only a very mildly interesting show. You got to see very little of the actual brewing process. Maybe they just didn't want to scare off most people with big terms, I don't know.

It was the same plot over and over, just like most of these shows. Sam had to brew up something unique and had a short timeframe to do it in. They make you think he's not going to make it and then he makes it and everyone lives happily ever after.

Now to be fair, I did enjoy seeing some of the more exotic locations, and there was some interesting ingredients now and again, but there was no way that same act was going to support the show for more than a few episodes. And I think the chicha episode literally made some people sick to their stomachs...

It was a good show to promote craft beer among the BMC drinkers, get some interest going, in the way that Orange County Choppers encouraged a surge in middle - aged white guys buying motorcycles.

I liked the show and thought it had a lot of potential, they showed some of the challenges like the bottling line problem and the yeast banking issues. I was hoping they'd cover a different brewery every season, new belgium has a really cool brewery and a lot of breweries are trying sours and barrel aging. I know its not for everyone but I'd like to think if honey boo-boo and anyone with a tow truck cn have a successful audience then the other side of the audience spectrum could have something of this variety.

I watched the shown and enjoyed the first few episodes. I agree that it started to get redundant after awhile.

If you think about it, the show really couldn't focus too much on the brewing process. Talk about redundant - if you are doing it right, almost the same thing happens every time (only the ingredients change).

I think it could have been a much more interesting show if it had caught Sam when he was just starting out. Maybe a 'Home-brewer to Pro-brewer" reality-documentary would have broader appeal. I know I would love to see the gory detail of the regulatory process, equipment formulation and business plan execution.

Back