Brew Masters on Discovery w/ Sam Calagione

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So glad this show has started! gets me outta watching Desperate house wives! My swmbo cant argue with my love for beer!!!!

I guess if you say it with the word Brew after it it is ok, but if it's Bitches solo, then it's a no no, despite the fact that they are not talking about women, but the beer....Just like we can say cockatoo and cocktail...

Who knows.

man, they're just words.. they dont control us.

So glad this show has started! gets me outta watching Desperate house wives! My swmbo cant argue with my love for beer!!!!

Why is Sam wearing a cup on brew day???

My girlfriend wanted to watch the season premier of American Top Gear, at least. She gave that about 3 minutes, realized it's NOT like the British one and went to bed.

Where can I get me some Gesho..

Dunno I guess I'm not impressed much mainly because he's basically making a braggot well almost a braggot, too much beer not enough mead . . . .

I guess I was kinda hoping for ground breaking stuff not crap I have already done years ago

I understand that....

What kind of ground breaking stuff were you hoping for on a series premiere that's marketed for mass audiences?

To be considered beer yes! By German beer law.

I knew about the whole german beer law thing.. but he made it sound like it was illegal to brew something and call it beer with no hops.

funny, I had a hopless beer the other day at Hair of the Dog-- they used winter squash for a bittering agent instead. It was actually really good, quite refreshing... and actually, the bitterness is surprisingly hop-like.

No more rapping please.....That's about 15 seconds of my life I'll never get back, and that could have been spent on more brewing related video.

I'm sure there's going to be plenty of stupid $h!+ like this, after all... it is a "reality" show.

Who's buying bitches brew tomorrow? I've seen it at my local beer store. Never tried it.

Ya know, halfway through the show, I was thinking, "Sam's really doing a good job. This isn't the guy I saw in the YouTube Pain Relievas video."

So much for that thought...

And for an episode where music was a major theme, the background muzak was pretty pitiful. Reminded me of poorly produced instructional/educational videos from decades gone by.

I liked the show anyway. I'm glad they're doing an episode on chicha. I was afraid the filming was either too late to capture the chicha debacle or that the show would be canceled before that gem hit the airwaves. Hopefully it succeeds enough to at least be a recurring special.

I'll be checking for it as well. Haven't seen it out there or noticed it at least.

Overall It's not a bad show. It could have been a worse representation of brewing stuff. It's not dumbed down too much, like it so could have been. Like any non trade piece on brewing culture I've seen, and we've all torn apart on here before. Really oversimplifiying stuff to the point where you want to tear your hair out.

I think having Sam narrate it kept it from falling into that trap....he wouldn't say something glaringly innacurate, or wrong.

I'd give it an 8 for this episode.

(So was I the only one to get a twinge in their "happy place" when Sam said the word, "Reinheitsgebot?" I got all tingly!)

Night all :mug:

I think having Sam narrate it kept it from falling into that trap....he wouldn't say something glaringly innacurate, or wrong.

yeah, I was glad they didnt pick some DB who had nothing to do with brewing as the narrator.. I was a little worried when i first heard about the show.

I personally think it's been a good show thusfar.

I was worried about too much BMC bashing, or too much Dogfish Head gloating. I think they've largely avoided either.

It's fun to see a show on Discovery about a hobby that I'm pretty passionate about :mug:

Yeah, I'll have to sgree. The show seems good so far....

I was at the brewery and standing right near him when he locked himself out towards the end of the show. They cut it out right before he asked me if I had a key for him to get back in. I signed a waiver for Discovery but guess I ended up on the cutting room floor. So much for my 15 minutes...

:)

I hate rap too.....but I couldn't help but look up pinching pennies on Youtube.

West Coast prepping for our turn therefore i will not read this thread until i see it. The Brewery and I are trying to kill a keg before 11pm Pacific! WHAT WHAT!

Back