Brew in a bag rig

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bakins

Reaction score
I think someone else was doing something similar to this, but couldn't find it in search.

And yes, I realize if I went through all of this trouble I could just build a "normal" rig, but when has that stopped any of us...

I was thinking of a single vessel, recirculating, all electric, brew in a bag rig. I've effectively done this a few times, but want to build a purpose built rig. I was thinking of using a pot like this:

Insert a 4500-5500W 220V ULD heating element in it. It doesn't scorch the wort in BK so it should be fine in mash tun. Control this with PID/SSR.

For the pot, I'd figure out a way to suspend it about 3 inches above the bottom (or enough to clear the element plus a little more). I could create "feet" for the basket with SS bolts, or use bolts to suspend it from above. I looked at the steamer pots, but got conflicting information for how high of the bottom it actually suspends it. I know my real fryer is only about 2", but the docs say 3". Also, from experience, I know to go one size larger than what you think you'll need.

Since the bag can be quite heavy, I'd use a hand winch and a pulley to remove it. I could raise it up and let it drip into the BK. Then boil as normal.

I'm thinking the whole thing would be 2'x2' and about 6' tall made of wood.

I'm just thinking. And if it sucked, all of the parts are reusable. I already have a 2 tier electric rig, but it needs to be redone, it's rather ghetto.

Insert a 4500-5500W 220V ULD heating element in it. It doesn't scorch the wort in BK so it should be fine in mash tun. Control this with PID/SSR.

Heating wort w/ an element, and heating a mash w/ an element are very different. Wort will circulate on its own, a mash MUST be constantly stirred or it will burn.

Good luck w/ the rig.:mug:

If you contain the bag within the strainer basket, you could raise it up above the level of the wort after the mash is complete and run your top-up water through it to complete a sparge of sorts.

I thought about this route when I did BIAB. I ended up just putting a winch in my garage and hoisting the bag up. I didn't want to go with anything less than a 10 gal. pot though, and couldn't find a fryer that big with a strainer. I made the bag a teardrop shape rather than a square, as that resulted in the edges of the bag flopping over the sides of the kettle when I raised it.

The ability to sparge would be GREAT, but you'll have to get that strainer dead center over the pot when you raise it, or your sparge water might miss the pot.

Yeah, I was looking for something along these lines for when/if I attempt a 10 gallon BIAB. No way I'd trust a bag to hold enough for a double batch. My trouble is I bought my 15 gallon pot w/o a strainer, and you really need the strainer bucket to be very close to the size of the pot, so that you got adequate circulation.

Something else I contemplated was a stand that was essentially a 6 foot 2x2 monolith that could be used to store all your boil equipment. I'll see if I can get my sketches scanned.

I've got twins on the way, so I'm suscribing to this thread to live vicariously through you. Awesome.

Heating wort w/ an element, and heating a mash w/ an element are very different. Wort will circulate on its own, a mash MUST be constantly stirred or it will burn.

Yes, mine will recirculate - if I actually decide to build it. I must have forgotten that. I currently have an all electric RIMS rig.

If you contain the bag within the strainer basket, you could raise it up above the level of the wort after the mash is complete and run your top-up water through it to complete a sparge of sorts.

Yep. My thoughts exactly. With some of my BIAB, I have done a gallon or 2 cold water sparge. It helps alittle. With normal BIAB with a mashout, I hit 75% dead on pretty much every time.

I've got twins on the way, so I'm suscribing to this thread to live vicariously through you. Awesome.

I've got 4 kids 7 and under, which is one reason I try to be fairly simple. Yes, my RIMS was complicated to build, but in theory it's completely hands off on brew day. In reality, it hasn't worked out that way (darned false bottom). BIAB (and no-chill) have been 2 things that are simple and easy. Of course, my current BIAB is done in a cooler with my RIMS that I drain into my BK. It sounds worse than it is. I dough-in in the bag, set temp then go watch a movie or play a game with the kids (I brew in my basement kitchen).

Yeah, there are million other ways I could do this, but I like to tinker. Plus if it sucks, we all learned something...

Back