Brew in a Bag Pumpkin Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McTarnamins

Reaction score
I did a BIAB Pumpkin ale tonight with a 20 minute protien rest at 125deg. I used real pie pumpkin that I roasted last night at 350 for 1.5 hours. Then I mashed for 1.5 hours at 155 deg. After the mash was done the entire 4 lbs of pumpkin meat was converted. I couldn't find a piece in the tun and it smelled great.

Caution for BIAB, the pumpkin almost made a stuck sparge on the bag after mashing. The runnings were a lot slower. The wort was stilll tasty going into the fermenter.

Now I'm finishing my keg of BIAB Wit....that went too fast.

Recipe for BIAB Pumpkin Ale

3 Pie pumpkins roasted for 1.5 hours to donate 3-4 lbs of meat.

Grain:
8 lbs 2 row
1.5 lbs vienna
.5 lbs crystal 60L
.5 lbs caramunich

crush fine and protien rest at 125 degrees for 15 min

Mash at 155 for 75 minutes

Hops:
.5 oz nobel variety 7 AA at 60 min
.5 oz nobel variety 7aa at 15 min
1.25 tsb. Cinnamon at 5 min
3/8 tsb. Nutmeg at 5 min
1.8 tsb. Mace at 5 min
1/4 tsb. all spice at 5 min

Windsor Dry yeast.

This smelled fantastic going into the fermenter.

Disclaimer: I was pretty much drunk drinking my BIAG Belgian Wit when I brewed this and when I wrote the recipe...... the accuracy risk is 2X so please adjust your recipe for my typing errors.

Cheers.

Doing the same thing this weekend with a different Punkin Ale recipe. I Love BIAB.

I did my last batch with a sparge method very similar to DeathBrewer's. Increased my efficiency by over 15%

I gutted 3 pie pumpkins and put them on a cookie sheet with a 1 inch lip. I put a few cups of water around the pumpkins to keep from getting dry. Roast for 1.5 hours at 350. I then scopped out the pumpkin meat and spread evenly onto a cookie sheet and roasted for another 30 minutes. (I might upgrade my account and post pictures of the pumpkins roasting.)

I then used this meat, about 3-4 lbs, into the mash.

I also roasted the pumpkin seeds at the same time as the pumpkin. 350 degrees for 20 minutes. Tasty snack while I'm brewing.

Next is the BIAB Simcoe IPA.

Back