Brew Gone Wrong

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peggjam

Reaction score
Can you do anything with a batch of brew that didn't turn out so well? Has zero head retention, and low co2. Thanks for any advice offered..:drunk:

Is it under carbonated or tastes bad?

If under carbed, that's fixable. How long since bottling and what temp stored at? How much priming sugar and what type of sugar did you use?

If it tastes bad, what does it taste like and give us some details. We can possibly help you there too.

It's got a strong hop flavor. It's been sitting 17 days at room temp (75). I used 4 oz of corn sugar for priming. The biggest thing I notice is that it doesn't have any head, at all, and seems like the carbination is low. It doesn't taste really bad, might take some time to drink it as is though..Any fixes?

I don't know about fixes now but for future reference maybe your capper isn't working?

Try refrigerating a bottle for four days. Make sure you don't have any soap residue in your glass. Let this bottle of beer warm to 42° - 44° before opening. Repeat in one more week if you still don't have good head retention.

Try refrigerating a bottle for four days. Make sure you don't have any soap residue in your glass. Let this bottle of beer warm to 42° - 44° before opening. Repeat in one more week if you still don't have good head retention.

This ^^^^^^^ plus giving it another week or two at room temp first to be sure it is fully carbed.

Ok, i'll let it set and try all the above. If that doesn't work, is opening and repriming and bottling again an option?

What kind of beer and what's the ABV? Is it possible to open, reprime, and recap? Yes. It is generally not advised though, because if you primed with the correct amount of sugar the first time you are going to be over priming the second time. That leads to bottle bombs.

As Revvy always says, three weeks at 70* is the minimum. It will be longer for bigger beers. Wait for the three weeks and like others have said, give it a few days in the fridge. If that doesn't work, come back for more potential answers. Good luck.

Ok, i'll let it set and try all the above. If that doesn't work, is opening and repriming and bottling again an option?

Not really. By doing so, you are likely to oxidate the beer enough that it'll have an unpleasant wet cardboard taste.

Give it more time at room temp. Some beers take longer (some much longer) than the typical 3 weeks. I'm drinking/sharing a milk chocolate stout right now that took 3-1/2 months to mature. During that time, the carbonation also seemed to slowly improve as well.

Back