Brew Dogs...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can't say it was the greatest show, but I'll continue to watch it.... It's Much better than 90% of the other waste of brain cell television shows out there lol

I thought it was fun and entertaining and obviously beer related, I will keep watching for the time being! Not that I loved the beer choice or brewing on a train but it wasn't like that's the only thing they did for an hour. I like that it's just a couple immaturish beer lovers having fun... I could picture my friends and I doing this!

The show was not half bad... but then there are not many options for beer TV shows lol. I have to give the hosts credit for pushing craft brews, even if those guys are kinda annoying.

It was pretty good. I've got the DVR set to record it. Shouldn't miss any.

I hope it turns out to be a good series. I really enjoyed the brew day. Nice to see the rig and kettles... carboy, etc. It is a culture that seems to be coming together.

I watched it the other day. It looks like it might be fun, even if I cant understand a thing there saying.

Overall I liked it too. Not sure they need to go nucking futz with the crazy beers. Kelp, Hot Pepper and Rosemary (or whatever it was)? How about just brew a kick ass beer with whatever host brewery they are at! But I digress. I liked the show and will watch the hell out of it!

I agree.... Why make some crazy beer that nobody will want? Just make some good brews and show the process. Would have been cool if they went into the malts and hops that they used. But, all in all a pretty entertaining show.....

not bad. the dudes kind of make it interesting, but the show overall comes off as kinda snarky. like how brew dog charges so much for their beer. their prices are ridiculous for what they are presenting. good beer, but so is the stuff at half the price mark. Overall rating for me is....Snarky

Episode 2....

Still lacking a bit in the entertainment thing, but interesting.... They spent the episode at Anchor brewing which was cool, and brewed a beer with open fermentation in a sawed-off whiskey barrel. Pretty interesting.

Really enjoy the home brew concept with the brew rig, kettles, etc...

I am 1/2 way through the train brewing and any time SWMBO hears Craft Virgin she looks up and starts watching.

Be interesting to see where the show goes and how long.

I take both sides on the "crazy brew" concept. I agree that adding kelp, peppers and rosemary to a beer will make me not want to drink it. On the other hand though, they are showing the general public that you can make your own beer, and create your own recipe no matter how crazy it might be. There are a lot of chefs out there that love to cook because they get to experiment with their recipes, and a lot of the crazier ones end up being delicious. Where a lot of people might think "that's disgusting - do not feed me that kelp beer", some might think "that's kind of cool that you can make beer with these random ingredients, and they add certain characteristics to the beer!"

Just wanted to play Devil's advocate since nobody else was :p -on that note, don't ever try to feed me kelp beer!

I love the show but every time I finish watching it I end up milling around my brew shed thinking about what random junk I can throw into a Carboy

been bewing for awhile.... Extract brewer for several years.. AG brewer since about March of this year. I thought I would be a reinhitskebot (sp?) brewer, but I'm finding that I might just want to add some other stuff to my beer.

This show is okay at best, but I like what they're doing. They're taking control of the beer that they're brewing and making it something different.

I have Directv and Brew Dogs is on Esquire channel (formally G4) which would add $11.00 a month to my subscription cost. The first episode was broadcast on a couple other channels so I was able to see the San Diego show. The San Francisco, and future shows you have to have the Esquire channel or won't be able to watch. I thought the San Diego episode was great but it may be over the heads of a lot of homebrewers. It's quirky, the process of stabilizing the moving kettles on the train aren't explicit but if you appreciate this kind of stuff it get's you thinking. When they drew a beer direct from the ferment tank with the SS coil on was that with a CO2 cartridge attached? If you need to watch episodes that tell you to add 1.69# of a specialty grain or 3/4 oz at 30 minutes this show might not be for you. If you can understand quick snippets of information it might make you think a bit more about beer making.

I enjoyed the concept and the creativity in building a really nice system to fit the space on the train car.
I agree that using kelp & hotter than hell peppers doesn't appeal to me but to each his/her own.
My question is why did they do their boil with the lid ON for the entire hour? I know they said to maintain temp but what about DMS,etc? Not a good brewing technique to be enforcing.

I enjoyed the concept and the creativity in building a really nice system to fit the space on the train car.
I agree that using kelp & hotter than hell peppers doesn't appeal to me but to each his/her own.
My question is why did they do their boil with the lid ON for the entire hour? I know they said to maintain temp but what about DMS,etc? Not a good brewing technique to be enforcing.

Another great thought. I was wondering the same myself. I know they had to keep the lid on to get the heat. But is DMS a serious concern or another wives tale. Thanks for pointing that out.

I watched about 60 seconds of the first episode of Brew Dogs before I hated it. Beer is universal and as traditional as something can get, as in as old as civilization itself. Trying to make it "extreme" is just annoying.

I caught the 2nd episode last night. It was interesting how they used netting to catch the fog for the water they used. Also vaporizing the beer and inhaling it is an intriguing concept. I do find it hard to believe they were able to do an open fermentation on top of the brewery, without any wild yeast finding their way into the wort.

I caught the 2nd episode last night. It was interesting how they used netting to catch the fog for the water they used. Also vaporizing the beer and inhaling it is an intriguing concept. I do find it hard to believe they were able to do an open fermentation on top of the brewery, without any wild yeast finding their way into the wort.

you're right... fog for the brewing water was cool and the vaporizing was gimmicky, but I think them going all traditional and historical using the coolship and open fermentation was awesome.

maybe the SCIENCE! members of HBT can explain open fermentation, because I sure can't. yeast are still magical little critters to me

but I really am liking this show more and more. I like the beer-lover-as-tourist aspect of the show; they're going into a city and seeking out the beer-related stuff. like I would. with the BigHair, I wouldn't necessarily focus on the beer stuff, but the things they highlight about the places are what I want to hear about.

I especially like the fact that they're not from the US, so they're seeing things about this country that someone born here might overlook.

I thought this weeks episode was pretty good. I was close to puking though when he put his hat on top of the cool ship. Next week they are in Philly so I'm happy about that.

Okay. I watched the rest of the SD episode and it wasn't totally horrible. Don't know the point of brewing on a train or rushing the beer to be done in 2 weeks (that was a very cloudy CA IPA). Did the cameras stick around for the beer farts and heartburn?

I found the show very entertaining, but I wasn't hoping for a " how to brew " show. I noticed a couple of weird things in their brewing process, but wrote it off to brewing on a train and gave them the benefit.
for entertainment value, I thought it pretty darn good. I have to watch esquire network on demand though, their commercial breaks are unbearable.

I found the show very entertaining, but I wasn't hoping for a " how to brew " show. I noticed a couple of weird things in their brewing process, but wrote it off to brewing on a train and gave them the benefit.
for entertainment value, I thought it pretty darn good. I have to watch esquire network on demand though, their commercial breaks are unbearable.

Rule #1 for watching TV..... Never, ever, watch in real time. DVR everything. If you want to watch on broadcast day start recording and wait 20 minutes into the show to begin watching. The train thing? Did you ever see a post on HBT asking how it could be done? I never thought about it, but it got me thinking about how it could be done. I'll wait till the series is finished and I'm guessing I can catch it on Netflix or Amazon or itunes or somewhere.

I'm born and bred in Scotland so I think it's why I'm more attracted to it than I should be! It's a pretty decent program and I've got it DVR'd so I'll watch the complete season. I'm watching it more for the cities and breweries that they're going to visit though.

this is just the beginning. Soon we'll have gordon ramsey in hell's brewery, screaming at the contestants while they screw up their decoctions.

That would be a fun show to watch. On the food network, Brewery Impossible would be fun, too..

I think I got the most laughs out of watching the guys sell the idea of craft brewing to the "virgins" and charming the daylights out of them in the process. Those ladies were eating it up.

I also like the idea of sitting down with a chef and talking about pairings. I'll keep watching.

this is just the beginning. Soon we'll have gordon ramsey in hell's brewery, screaming at the contestants while they screw up their decoctions.

That would be an enteresting show. I'm not sure it will go that far, but I do hope that this show is the beginning of something.

I liked the show overall, but, especially, found the food/beer pairings interesting. I was also struck by a WTF moment during the first episode when they decided to use peppers as ingredients; the day before, I was coming up with beer names for when me and a couple friends start a brewery and one of the names was to go with a beer that had capsasian in it. You know...the stuff that makes peppers hot.

Saw most of the SanFran show today. It's on TimeWarner cable on O`ahu at 11 a.m on the Esquire channel 1550. Will give it at least one more go before going for the whole season on tape.

Just watched the first 2 shows, and I have to say I really liked it. Specially the concept of pairing beer with food, and explaining the regional differences of beer. I'll continue watching the show, it's a great promo for homebrewing.

The one thing I would change is I'd love to see a tad more focus in the brewing part itself. I know it's geared towards people who don't necessarily brew, but it would be great if they started dropping hints as to how the details of the brewing process work out. I would also really love if they made a complete writeup of the recipes at the end, so people can clone them.

Overall, really enjoying the show.

Back