Brew Dog - Extreeme Beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ive seen that brand in the local wine monopoly here in Norway, but never bothered to buy one because Norway is addicted to Pilsner beers, so thats the only variety that the store carried.

Nothing against a good pils, but i'd rather spend my money on a good ipa or porter. Sad when I look at that link and see a range of fantastic beers they dont carry....

I can get their stuff here in NC. Not sure if they distribute to GA, but if you're ever up this way you can find Brewdog in most of the major beer/wine stores.

If you can get it there hardcore IPA is good.

Most of the beers are all brewed in the american style.

A Scottish brewing company brewing English ales in the American style, oh the irony.

Poked around that site and I agree those guys seem to have a good sense of humor. This is from their trashy blonde page:

"Made with hops specially imported from America and imagination especially imported from Alice in Wonderland"

It is strange to see a beer that features imported american ingredients, I am used to seeing it the other way around.

I was in Scotland a few months ago and was on a mission to try their Hardcore IPA but I couldn't find it anywhere. Then I get back to San Diego and to my surprise my local BevMo had it. An outstanding beer.

I've had a few of their beers, pretty decent over all, a friend picked up a tactical nuclear penguin last winter. it wasn't cheap. Not sure if he has cracked it open yet or not.

No luck here in Georgia. I'll add those to my wish I could try list along with Russian River.

You guys out in California seem to get all the good beers?

I just picked up the Brewdog dogma at my locale bottle shop. Brewed with honey, guarana, and Kola nut? I've never had guarana or kola nut so this should be interesting. I am almost always up to support a brewery that tries something new and has a sense of humor.

Poked around that site and I agree those guys seem to have a good sense of humor. This is from their trashy blonde page:

"Made with hops specially imported from America and imagination especially imported from Alice in Wonderland"

It is strange to see a beer that features imported american ingredients, I am used to seeing it the other way around.

I just want to add that I ran accross some interesting bottle caps that read "Imported from America" on them. If I have time and remember, I will put a pic. I thought they were kinda cool. :tank:

Unfortunately the selection is limited by the ABV cap, but what is available is indeed good...

Yeah, but 15% is a pretty high cap and covers 99% of beers produced. I can only think of a handful that would be considered illegal here. DFH 120, Utopias and the more extreme Brewdog stuff (which is extremely limited anyway.)

FYI, you can get your hands on that stuff here with the right connections though. I was able to track down Tactical Nuclear Penguin locally but wasn't willing to pay $100 for a 12oz bottle.

WOW, $100 is indeed extreme for 12oz. Must be the beer black market.

Nah, that's actually the going rate. You can even order it off of their website (or could at one point) and it was about that much after shipping to the US. Oh and I was mistaken, it's an 11.2oz european bottle, not 12oz.

If you can get it there hardcore IPA is good.

Most of the beers are all brewed in the american style.

A Scottish brewing company brewing English ales in the American style, oh the irony.

Actually, every Hardcore IPA I've had was badly under-carbonated. Others here have noticed the same. Fortunately, it's a ridiculously easy recipe (was listed in a recent BYO feature on Brew Dog), and makes for an outstanding homebrew.

Small amount of "thread zombification".

Just tried "trashy blond" not at all what I expected. Overpowering bitterness, cant taste anything but hops, pleasent aroma though.

Kinda like a "proper job" IPA, but this must be 70+ibus.

70 IBUs used to be considered a hop bomb. However, with Stone Ruination, and others, coming in at 103+ IBUs, suddenly 70 IBUs doesn't seem that extreme. I'd love to try one.

70ibus in a blond ale is a little unexpected though. Prepare for a blond then get AGH god! That almost metallic like hop bite.

But good ;)

You might be surprised. I've been to the Great British Beer Festival two years running and there have been a LOT of beers by British brewers using American hops.

And Brew Dog's IPA, which was there last year was pretty tasty. Not as good as Thornbridge Jaipur IPA, though. But they're both very nice American style IPAs.

70ibus in a blond ale is a little unexpected though. Prepare for a blond then get AGH god! That almost metallic like hop bite.

But good ;)

Ahh, I was thinking it was an IPA. Yes, 70 IBU's is out of the typical style guidelines for a Blonde Ale. However, I would assume that most of their beers don't exactly fit into pre specified style guidelines either.

Back