Brew day with the new HBT Spike conical!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bsquared

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Brew day with the NEW conical from the HBT spike brewing contest!

In honor of our first brewer...President I decided to brew a golden strong belgian ale for the inaugural run of the spike brewing conical. First off, I am very grateful to have won this contest, and am very impressed with the construction and welds of the spike conical. Though I did swap out the sanitary ball lock valves with a butterfly and a racking arm with a sample valve. Im sure the valves it came with would have been fine, but I prefer butterfly valves for fermenters.

This is my More beer conical internal weld
IMG_3073.jpg

This is my Spike brewing internal conical weld
IMG_3072.jpg

Yesterday I passivated the conical and sanitized it, the lid was quite wonky but it did form a seal once tightened down.

I also got a chance to try out a bucket head wet/dry vacuum for cleaning out the mash tun. Though it did not have enough umph to suck up 27 lbs of grain, but after I scooped out the majority of the grain, the buckethead worked great to suck out the remaining grains and liquid. After I was done I sucked up about 2 gallons of 140ºF PBW water and then star san, and the rinsed it off with water. Looked good as new.
IMG_3095.jpg
IMG_3096.jpg
IMG_3099.jpg

excited to see how this brew comes out!

I looked at buying one of their brew kettles but I'm not sold on having a dog's head on something I spend hundreds of dollars for. Do you know if it's a removable sticker or is it a metal plate?

It's a removable sticker. I have a 15 gallon pot and I love it.

And it kept the sticker on it, just for the record. ;)

Back