Brew Day Diaster!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djt17

Reaction score
I have always enjoyed reading what goes wrong with OTHER brewer's brew days. For 3 years I have enjoyed relatively uneventful brew sessions; until yesterday. First I had a massive stuck sparge; I always add grain to water that is already in my Coleman Extreme. This time I did the grain first then added water slowly while I stirred. When the mash was complete; I tried draining, nothing, stirred again, nothing, blew through the drain hose, NOTHING. After dumping the mess into my BIAB bag, there was a massive dough ball in the drain channel of the Extreme (must of missed that with my paddle!). Finally; on to the boil. My heat stick normally has white deposits on the element; but this time there was a small dark spot, no big deal I thought. WRONG!! Half way through the boil I smell something burning; did I spill wort on my stove? (again!!). I don't see anything on the stove, pulled the heat stick out, it is BLACK!
/rant over/

The hydro sample tastes burnt; this was going to be Premium American Lager for my BMC friends. Do I have a Rauchbier? Junk? Is it salvageable?

Also; in an attempt to improve my efficiency, I tightened the gap my grain mill. Now, to find that wrench.

Back