Brew Day, and a Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Yesterday, I went to LHBS and got stuff for a Centennial Blond and a Belgian Wit. I asked the guy for suggestions, and I wasn't thinking, or something, but there's no way I'm putting coriander in my beer. It actually makes me heave just smelling the stuff.

Forgot the Starsan, so still slopping Iodaphor everywhere. I brewed the CB and made a big sticky mess all over my kitchen, hands all in the wort, dog sniffing around, etc. It's bubbling away this morning and time will tell if sanitation was adequate. HWMC complained about the "disgusting" ?!? smell of boiling wort until he finally left the house. :)

I also picked up yeast energizer for my attempted hard lemonade, and it really got that fermentation going. Stuck my nose in the pail and got a good dose of co2.

Any suggestions about my Wit ingredients? I'll leave out the coriander, maybe add something else in its place? I attempted to whirlpool the wort, but now I'm thinking that I should have added top off water first. Should I try that next time?

Orange zest and coriander are ingredients in Blue Moon Belgian Wheat beer.
blue-moon-250.jpg

I actually just made a clone version of it that came out light and tart and refreshing. The key is to go REALLY easy on the quantity; I only used 1/3 oz of crushed coriander in last 10 min of boil and 1/6 oz of sweet dried orange peel zest in 5 gallons. I would brew this again, everyone likes it.

The coriander and orange peel are characteristic for the style as far as I know. Personally wit is one of my favorite styles, but if coriander is not your thing maybe wit is just not the style for you especially if your response to it is that nauseating. Maybe go easy on it, as Jayhem mentions? Jamil Zainesheff's recipe uses .4 oz. It's supposed to be subtle, not overpowering. How much does your recipe call for?

If you end up not liking it, perhaps your buds will get rid of it for you? It's an easy drinking, refreshing summer beer that most people like. It doesn't do well with prolonged aging, much better fairly fresh, IMO. Brewed now, it would definitely be good timing for summer drinking.

I know some wit recipes use chamomille as well as orange zest and corriander. I can't think of any substitutions for the corriander though. It just wouldn't be a wit, wit-out it!

I know some wit recipes use chamomille as well as orange zest and corriander. I can't think of any substitutions for the corriander though. It just wouldn't be a wit, wit-out it!

I've been contemplating trying to brew a wit using corriander and blackberry in place of the orange to create a pink wit! Women love wits usually but a pink wit would be a major hit!

I had Hefeweisen in mind at the store, not sure how our lines got crossed, and only noticed it after I got home. Nobody I know drinks wit, so not likely that it'll be disposed of properly.

I thought of going really easy on the coriander, but I remember my first Blue Moon at a bar. Quite embarrassing to have that reaction in public ;)

A quick search said that various "mildly to moderately narcotic" herbs (gruit) were used in beer before hops were popular. Sadly, further searching those herbs didn't turn up anything useful, so I'll just go Witless on this one.

There are plenty of other fruits/spices you can add to wheat beers for flavors. I wouldn't think a hopped wit would taste that bad, bring it up to pale ale IBU's around 30 with some citrus finishing hops.

What ingredients did your LHBS give you for the Wit? It should have been about 1/2 and 1/2 wheat and 2-row, Saaz hops, and a Belgian Wit yeast strand.

If you brewed the recipe WITHOUT the orange peel and coriander, you'd get pretty much a slightly spicy Hefeweizen. Traditional Bavarian Hefes are sometimes made with Pale Malt instead of Pilsner , so no problem there. Saaz is a bit more spicy and earthy than the traditional Hallertau used in Hefes, but similar acid content, so the addition proportions would be similar. Then, the Belgian Wit yeast adds a tart that complements the spicinesss of the saaz hops, so you're good there.

SO, I say skip the orange and corriander and brew it like a Hefe!

It's extract, so there's wheat extract, with Pilsner, White Wheat, and Oats for steeping.
1 oz. Tettnang and a Belgian Wit smack pack. Should I get more/different hops?

Nope...even better! Tettnang is a substitute for Hallertau, and Pilsner and White Wheat = German Hefewiezen! Leave the Oats out of it.

Do you have the same amount Pilsner and White Wheat?

Steep the white wheat and pilsner malt @ 155-165 for 20 min
Bring to a Boil and stir in the Wheat Extract
1.0 oz of Tettnang @ 60 min

You are going to end up with a beer just a shade to the wheaty side of a traditional German Hefeweizen.

Back