Brew Bucket thermowell in lid?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pretzelb

Reaction score
After a few uses of my 7g SS BrewTech BrewBuckets I was thinking of adding a thermowell. SS BrewTech has one they offer to go in the side but I was thinking to find one for the lid - that way if I screw up it is only by the price of a lid. Anyone ever tried this? I found a weldless 12 thermowell that seems pretty basic. My biggest concern would be getting a good seal and that it would work with my temp controller probe.

I had the same question so I emailed them asking for a recommendation and they were basically jerks about the whole thing. They said they sell side thermowells that don't leak so why put one in the lid. So I just taped a folded up shop towel on the side and rammed my temp probe in there so it contacted the outside. Asshats.

After a few uses of my 7g SS BrewTech BrewBuckets I was thinking of adding a thermowell. SS BrewTech has one they offer to go in the side but I was thinking to find one for the lid - that way if I screw up it is only by the price of a lid. Anyone ever tried this? I found a weldless 12 thermowell that seems pretty basic. My biggest concern would be getting a good seal and that it would work with my temp controller probe.
They have an extra long thermowell that will work. It comes with the ftss not sure if they will sell separately but ask.

Drill a hole and use a rubber grommet like you would for an airlock in a bucket lid. Thermowells should fit in that size. Mine does. I think my thermowell is 0.25" diameter. Or drill a hole big enough for a rubber stopper and put the thermowell in the stopper.

I've been contemplating getting one of these buckets and I definitely don't want to use the side thermowell. Just another potential location for leaks.

They have an extra long thermowell that will work. It comes with the ftss not sure if they will sell separately but ask.

I bought the standard brew bucket, then decided I wanted to add a thermowell in the top of the lid. The standard lid had one hole so I put in a 90 degree elbow for a BO tube.

Without doing much research, I ordered their thermowell and the 17mm hole bit to make a precise hole. When the order arrived, the thermowell was way too short to reach a normal level of 5.5G wort from above. I contacted them and they do have an extra long thermowell that would reach deep enough but this only comes with the FTSs kit. They don't sell these components separately since they only sell them as a package. I respect their position.

This forced me to drill into the side of the bucket similar to the way their brew master version is pre-drilled. I think their intention with that is to use an LCD thermometer they include, or simply use an ATC probe as I intended.

So, with all that said, I drilled the side successfully and cleanly. For what it's worth, I have not had one single drop to leak. I am satisfied with the way it all turned out.

Brewers Hardware has a selection of ss thermowell's, some of which have weld less bulkheads and some of which would slide into a rubber grommet. Since I already had this other stuff, I went ahead and used what I got from Ss Brewtech.

Yep I have the 12" SS Brewtech thermowells and SS 1/2" blowoffs on my Brewbuckets and Brewbucket Minis, Works like a champ.

333cuja.jpg

2qmfecm.jpg

20zsqhy.jpg

I ended up buying a thermowell from Brewhardware and installed it in the lid.

Back