Brew Bucket First Clean

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Figgy15

Reaction score
Hello all...

I just purchased a ss brewtech brew bucket. Instructions say I need to pre-clean with TSP then do a passivation with star San. I didn't have tsp so I used oxiclean and a tiny bit of brewers friend. Then dish washing soap. I then soaked in iodophor star San for 30mins. My question is can I still do a tsp wash to make sure it is ready to be used this weekend.

Thank you brewers.

I've read on here that many had success with regular dish soap. I found TSP at lowe's for like $3 so i used it. You can definitely still use TSP to wash it. I'm not sure if that messes with the passivation. I recently read on Spike's site that passivation occurs naturally, but it's so easy to toss star san in there before transferring the beer in.

Ss Brewtech instructions in the user's guide says to never use oxiclean as a cleaner.
"OxiClean or other peroxide cleaners in combination with hard water. These can cause calcium carbonate to precipitate onto the surface. If this happens re-passivate your Brew Bucket."

Ss Brewtech instructions in the user's guide says to never use oxiclean as a cleaner.
"OxiClean or other peroxide cleaners in combination with hard water. These can cause calcium carbonate to precipitate onto the surface. If this happens re-passivate your Brew Bucket."

The Oxiclean I use is the stain free one I use with all my Stainless Steel pots. So not to worry about that. But I'll use the TSP today and re-passivate with Star San.

Make sure you soak the outside in star san as well. I did not and from being in the moist environment of my ferm chamber(wine cooler) it started to rust. Don't forget the lid either.

Use a soft sponge with powdered bar keepers friend and warm water. Clean it like you mean it. *Do NOT* Scrub the level etchings on the inside of the bucket with bar keepers friend as it will fade them immensely. Then clean with PBW and soft sponge. Sanitize with Iodophor or star san.

Back