Brew-Boss Opinions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First beer is in the fermenter. I did a second wet run last night to tune the boil for the steam condenser, and found that the lid does not sit flat due to the accessory port. I removed it and re-inserted it backwards (o-ring outside the kettle), and it's better but still not quite right. So I have to carefully tune my boil level, and can't eliminate the steam 100% (probably 98% though).

My brew day today went pretty well, until I got to the second hop addition. It would not advance to the next step (boil for another 15 minutes) no matter what, so I finished the boil and whirlpool by controlling everything manually. Later I found out that because I had used a comma in the description field "Add 35 minute hops, whirlfloc and chiller", it had added a field to the step file, and the software didn't know how to maintain a temperature of "whirlfloc and chiller". So that's corrected for next time.

One annoyance I've found is that there really doesn't seem to be a way to pause, even though there's a button marked "pause/stop brew". When you push it, it asks you if you want to stop the brewing process. If you do nothing or press no, it keeps on trucking. If you push yes, it ends the brew and goes all the way back to the beginning. So you have to manually step through the entire process, resetting timers to zero along the way, in order to get to where you were.

It was messier and longer than I expected, but I'm really excited about the potential results. I need to reduce my starting water next time, as even after extending the boil I still had seven gallons left in the kettle. SG was WAY low--1.046, target of 1.065. I started with 9 gallons, as directed by Brewer's Friend. Will need to trim that by at least a gallon, I think.

Thanks for the update Lax, hopefully once you get in the rhythm it'll be less messy. I though i read that the pause actually pauses. maybe there was a bug.

First beer is in the fermenter. I did a second wet run last night to tune the boil for the steam condenser, and found that the lid does not sit flat due to the accessory port. I removed it and re-inserted it backwards (o-ring outside the kettle), and it's better but still not quite right. So I have to carefully tune my boil level, and can't eliminate the steam 100% (probably 98% though).

My brew day today went pretty well, until I got to the second hop addition. It would not advance to the next step (boil for another 15 minutes) no matter what, so I finished the boil and whirlpool by controlling everything manually. Later I found out that because I had used a comma in the description field "Add 35 minute hops, whirlfloc and chiller", it had added a field to the step file, and the software didn't know how to maintain a temperature of "whirlfloc and chiller". So that's corrected for next time.

One annoyance I've found is that there really doesn't seem to be a way to pause, even though there's a button marked "pause/stop brew". When you push it, it asks you if you want to stop the brewing process. If you do nothing or press no, it keeps on trucking. If you push yes, it ends the brew and goes all the way back to the beginning. So you have to manually step through the entire process, resetting timers to zero along the way, in order to get to where you were.

It was messier and longer than I expected, but I'm really excited about the potential results. I need to reduce my starting water next time, as even after extending the boil I still had seven gallons left in the kettle. SG was WAY low--1.046, target of 1.065. I started with 9 gallons, as directed by Brewer's Friend. Will need to trim that by at least a gallon, I think.

If you don't have beersmith, try using Priceless' BIAB calc - pretty spot on for me

After you "stop" it, you should be able to "drop down" a menu of brew steps, and jump right to the one you want.

Go to page 6 here:
https://www.brew-boss.com/v/vspfiles/files/pdf/Brew-BossOperationManualV3.03.pdf
In the picture, click on the menu under "Select Step to Start" and it will list all steps.

Also make sure you are using the most recent app, from here:
http://www.brew-boss.com/category-s/197.htm

Apparently the app stores continually changing programming requirements got annoying enough that Darin just provides it as a side-load now.

Last edited:
Apparently the app stores continually changing programming requirements got annoying enough that Darin just provides it as a side-load now.

On that note, does anyone know how we can sign up to get notified on when the app is updated so we can download the latest and greatest?
I downloaded and side-loaded the .apk now, but I am worried about missing future updates.

After you "stop" it, you should be able to "drop down" a menu of brew steps, and jump right to the one you want.

Go to page 6 here:
https://www.brew-boss.com/v/vspfiles/files/pdf/Brew-BossOperationManualV3.03.pdf
In the picture, click on the menu under "Select Step to Start" and it will list all steps.

Also make sure you are using the most recent app, from here:
http://www.brew-boss.com/category-s/197.htm

I'm running the latest app (at least as of two weeks ago) from the Brew Boss site (not the Play store), and I'm pretty sure it has neither the "start on step" dropdown, nor the Automatic/Manual radio buttons. Found the latter in the parameters. Will check again when I get home though.

Care to share these values?
I am considering going back to Beersmith but I want to actually test out multiple software before I make my final decision.
I don't have Beersmith on this computer, but if you load the Brew-Boss plugin, it adds the profiles for you. Here are the numbers as I translated to Brewer's Friend:

Boil Evaporation Rate: 4L/hr
Grain Absorption: 0.5 qt/lb
Hops Absorption: 0.15 qt/oz
Kettle Dead Space: 4 qt
Misc Losses: 0
Cooling Shrinkage: 4%
Chilling Method: Counterflow
Average Efficiency: 70%
Default Mash Thickness: 1.5 qt/lb
Mash Water Unit: Quarts
Mash Tun Volume: 60 qt
Mash Strike Heat Loss: 0
Lauter Dead Space: 0

Hydrometer Temp: 68
Hydrometer Offset: 0
Wort Correction Factor: 1

I don't have Beersmith on this computer, but if you load the Brew-Boss plugin, it adds the profiles for you. Here are the numbers as I translated to Brewer's Friend:

Boil Evaporation Rate: 4L/hr
Grain Absorption: 0.5 qt/lb
Hops Absorption: 0.15 qt/oz
Kettle Dead Space: 4 qt
Misc Losses: 0
Cooling Shrinkage: 4%
Chilling Method: Counterflow
Average Efficiency: 70%
Default Mash Thickness: 1.5 qt/lb
Mash Water Unit: Quarts
Mash Tun Volume: 60 qt
Mash Strike Heat Loss: 0
Lauter Dead Space: 0

Hydrometer Temp: 68
Hydrometer Offset: 0
Wort Correction Factor: 1

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/beersmith-2-with-brew-boss.528526/

I found this on another thread and it matches pretty well with yours except for the dead space.

I love hearing about new Brew Boss users. I have a Brew Boss & a Colorado Brewing System, and almost brew exclusively on the Brew Boss. It's a great setup.

Quick note on the profiles in Beersmith, they will get you started but be sure to keep close notes on amounts with your setup as it will need to be tweaked based on your individual setups (hose length, CFC loss, etc)

Creating STP files is fairly easy and can be exported/converted from BeerSmith, but i find it easier just to create my own from this site:

http://brewingintheburgh.com/brew-boss/index.html

I'm running the latest app (at least as of two weeks ago) from the Brew Boss site (not the Play store), and I'm pretty sure it has neither the "start on step" dropdown, nor the Automatic/Manual radio buttons. Found the latter in the parameters. Will check again when I get home though.
I just took a screenshot from app version 2.10, the current one I believe. It shows the step drop down only when it is not activelyactively Brewing. So it should show after you press stop and confirm.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181218-083728.png
    Screenshot_20181218-083728.png
    171.3 KB · Views: 55
I just took a screenshot from app version 2.10, the current one I believe. It shows the step drop down only when it is not activelyactively Brewing. So it should show after you press stop and confirm.

Thanks for the screen shot.. I have never noticed that before and had the same frustration when needing to pause/stop as Lax coach had..

I sent Darin a note about upgrade notifications and he responded that we should just check the website periodically. He also said they are working on a web based application that would be hosted by the V3 controller and which would also negate the need for a tablet. Excited to see what they come up with in the future.

I sent Darin a note about upgrade notifications and he responded that we should just check the website periodically. He also said they are working on a web based application that would be hosted by the V3 controller and which would also negate the need for a tablet. Excited to see what they come up with in the future.

I wonder how it would work getting rid of the tablet?
Not much room for all that info on the screen of the controller. Also, how would you start, stop, pause? All with the Rotary Switch? Or would you login to the web-based app on a tablet, computer or smartphone and control everything from there?

if he was smart, he'd get it to work with craftbeerpi.. Brewtronix (hosehead) lets you put SBE/CBPi3 on it.. that'd cut down on his SW development cost significantly

looking good Cnash. I set mine all up yesterday.Take your time, there is a lot of parts! FYI: i came across a nice video last week on how to put the cam locks on that silicone hose. put a tiny amount of Vaseline or keg lube. hold the hose firmly, put the cam lock on a 45 degree angle and turn the cam lock while holding the house. sucker pops right on!!

going to do the water test now. had to look online 1 more time to figure out how to get the city water to the automatic filler. Seems i'm missing some parts. It doesn't appear brew boss includes that side.

Might skip the auto fill just to get the water test done.

I didn't get the fill-boss or hop-boss. Two things I didn't feel like I needed.
I enjoy being part of the process .a little automation is great, but I still want to be involved. Haha

Looks like I won't be able to build the cart/stand today or do the cleaning and water test. Significant other is making me clean, since we are having people over tomorrow. So, I guess it'll have to wait.

i didn't have time to built my cart/stand. So i used my propane burner as a temporary stand just to get the pot off the ground. working ok.

Edit:

running through my water test. It seems my temperature probe isn't working it's stuck on 32 degrees even though my water is close to boiling. I'm going to manually skip the strike step(if i can) to continue down my test run. i'll like to run it all the way though the chiller and pump the water into my conical. to make sure there's no more road blocks. Hopefully it's just a setting turned off for the temp probe.

Edit #2:

Darin as usual was quick on the reply. something came lose in shipping. Took about 2 seconds to fix it and get it up running. Just the plug for the probe. Thanks again Darin moving along on my water test. Testing out my condensation boss now. (brew in basement)

Edit #3:
Auto kettle filler i couldn't verify, as stated above i'm missing a few parts to hook city water to the auto filler.

Hop boss, i wasn't able to verify this. I think this was user error. with the App. I will test it out at a later time.

Pump, I got the one that comes with the complete system. It's an inline pump. When you have the lid on the entire system is nearly silent. Honestly i had to look at the app, and once put my hand on the pump to make sure it was brewing(with the swirl boss attached)

Water test "brew" built into the app, Id recommend going in before you start it to the app options first, you have to toggle your options on/off. Other then that, it worked great. Easy to adjust any setting on the fly.

Exchillaerator, WOW, i come from a submersible coil chiller. This thing chills extremely fast with very little water pressure.

A few tips i learned while brewing. Steam is HOT, when you bring it up to boil careful taking that lid off. Make a hook for your lid. this thing goes on and off. there's a ton of condensation on the lid. need to have it able to drip somewhere.

Return hose, the one from the pump back up to the top of the kettle. I'd recommend having a hook for that also. There is a small amount of water/wort in it. The pump's not used during your main boil. You need to turn off the valve and store that hose if you are using the condenser boss.

Over all this hot water i made was the easiest ever! Looking forward to making an actual batch. I'll use my propane stand for a few brews to figure out the logistics of it all and figure out the right heights and placement of everything. I took very good notes on what i'll need. The plan right now is make shelves and a Formica counter top. hope this helps a few of the other new "bosses" out there!

Last edited:
Awesome, sounds like everything went well in the end. I'm looking forward to what you come up with for a stand.

I was originally going to build a 30x60 stand out of metal with a wood top and bottom shelf with a come-along metal hoist. But I think I'm going to do a temporary 30x40 wood stand with a wood hoist .if it works well I may just modify it and beautify it

Batch #1 in the books. Brewed a simple cheap beer. worst case only out a few bucks. Did 5 gallons of a 60 Shilling. Last part of clean up now.

Still no luck with the hop boss. Just can't get it to recognize on the tablet. it shows up on the controller. I'll contact Darin about it.

Hooked the auto filler up. pretty awesome. need to get better with the app to really use it to it's potential.

I had a bit of an issue with the boil detection. it detected the boil at 205 and didn't really go much higher than that. so i manually adjusted it up.

Lessons learned after the first brew.

1.) keep the handle on the COFI filter while brewing, espcialy when you go to pull it off to compress the grain. Avoided a complete disaster the last second.

2.) If you cancel your brewing session, just start a new one. delete the steps you already done. There may be an easier way. i haven't found it yet.

3.) when the wort comes out of the chiller, i need to put something on the end of that transer hose. I used the same hose i had return to the kettle, this way i did 10 minutes of a hot wort though the chiller to kill any bad guys. The end has a cam lock. those stupid handles were a pain trying to keep out of the way.

over all the brewing experience was good. my efficiency was about 72%. That was when i got it into my conical. Forgot to check in the pot.

Honestly i didn't notice the lid was on, when i took it off i noticed there wasn't much activity. So i manually adjusted back. going to do a batch today and batch tomorrow. I'll keep an eye on that.

Sent Darin an email about the hop boss, i forgot to take the IP address out of the app. it should work today.

The lid shouldn’t be on the kettle when boiling. The voice prompt should tell you that, or at least it does on mine. I just finished my 46th brew this morning on my 15gal BB and have never had a boil detect issue.

Ahhh. I hadn’t actually seen that before but just watched the video on the BrewBoss site. It looks like a great option to get homebrewers indoors. I know Darin will help you figure that out.

Cheers,

I brewed a batch yesterday. no lid at all. i was teaching someone how to brew kit beers outside. so i was back and forth and just left it off with no condenser boss. it had no issues. maybe get it up to boil. then add the lid/boss. that's what i'll try tomorrow.

Thank you for referencing that condenser boss. I've had my BB for awhile and didn't realize that was a new (to me) option. Read about it on the site, and watched the video.... may have to pick one up now. Please do post if/when you get it going on how it performs.

One other question on the condenser piece, does it come with the lid seal, or just the "T" pipe contraption?

I've used mine only once. It comes with the same silicone hose that the system came with. but a slit in it. It goes on the rim of the brew kettle. I forgot to put weights on it like the video. there was still some steam coming out, but i feel after the weight it would stop that.

The T that comes off the side, connects to the cam lock that your hose goes to. The T is i guess what you could explain as the mixing chamber. the water goes in and sucks the steam out of the pot. When i get my permanent stand set up, i will make a tube go right to a drain. I just had a 9 gallon ferment bucket under. it wans't a big deal to pour out.

Over all i like it and feel it's worth the cost.

Has anyone brewed a 5 gallon batch in a 20 gallon setup and have the beer come out with an awful off-flavor (oxidation, i believe). I have had several batches ruined and I think it's in the mashing where some of the wort is sprayed above the grain bed. Maybe flow rate too high and level in the kettle dropped too low? Anyway, I've replaced the recirculation connection hose to the center stem with a Locline (https://www.brewhardware.com/product_p/mashrecirculation.htm) tube recirculating below the surface and no problems so far. Also, watch the flow rate carefully!

Has anyone brewed a 5 gallon batch in a 20 gallon setup and have the beer come out with an awful off-flavor (oxidation, i believe). I have had several batches ruined and I think it's in the mashing where some of the wort is sprayed above the grain bed. Maybe flow rate too high and level in the kettle dropped too low? Anyway, I've replaced the recirculation connection hose to the center stem with a Locline (https://www.brewhardware.com/product_p/mashrecirculation.htm) tube recirculating below the surface and no problems so far. Also, watch the flow rate carefully!

Are you using the COFI basket? If so, I think all mashes spray some recirculated wort over the grain bed unless you are maxing out the grain space in the basket.

Soon to start building my stand.
I have ordered some of the parts already (Winch, Pulleys, Casters). Here is my latest drawing of it. (Have a more detailed one in Revit, but this one is further along)
The hoist drops down to save space and also act as a sort of cart handle.

bboss standsmalls.png

Nice looking stand. Whats your solution to turn and lift/lower that pivot arm? Seems brew boss uses a square tube on the bottom. A round tube mounted in the center of it, then the top out over top of it. I guess you could do that and pin it in the upper position. pull the pin when you wanted to lower it.

Nice looking stand. Whats your solution to turn and lift/lower that pivot arm? Seems brew boss uses a square tube on the bottom. A round tube mounted in the center of it, then the top out over top of it. I guess you could do that and pin it in the upper position. pull the pin when you wanted to lower it.

My design is a Square tube welded to a round tube that will slide into the square tube on the bottom. There will be two pins, one to lock it in a position and one just to hold the height. Top pin can be removed and arm can swivel.

Attached is a rough sketch. (Not dimensionally accurate)
hoistrough.PNG

First beer (Resilience IPA) is in the keg and carbing. Definitely did not hit my numbers, but hopefully it'll be a sessionable variant. SG was 1.046 and FG 1.012, so right around 4.6% ABV, whereas it's supposed to be 6.8%.

Pressure transfer from the SSB BrewBucket worked awesome, definitely glad I went with that setup. Still a pretty good hop/trub cake in the bottom despite using a spider in the kettle, but I didn't draw any in even with the tube turned all the way down.

So not where I want it to be, but so far I'd say it's "good enough" for my first ever brew. Hopefully the results are drinkable. :)

Latest posts

Back