Brew-Boss Extract Brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TennBrewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've been using my Brew-Boss 20-gallon system for a few years now and never gave extract brewing a minute of thought.....until now. I am recovering from a major surgery and living here in the Mid-South, the summers can be brutally hot and humid. In years past I have brewed throughout the summer and it has always taken every last bit of strength and energy despite using this simple single-kettle system (which makes great beer BTW). I have been considering using the Brew-Boss controller for 5-gallon extract batches. I already have a 10-gallon kettle I can add an electric element to it but I am not finding 220/240 volt elements to fit into the 13.3 inch diameter kettle, most are at least 14 inches. The closest thing I can find is the NorCal Solutions Heating Element but the power connector is not compatible with the Brew Boss' NEMA L630R. So, I looked around and found this and asked NorCal if this cord would work with their heating element. Now, some extract recipes call for specialty grains that are steeped/mashed and the LME/DME is added to the resulting wort and boiled. In this case I would need to make sure I could use the 10 Brew-Boss controller to run the mash first, then the boil. I have a grain bag I can use but I am not comfortable soaking that grain bag over the top of the heating element. The 10 gallon kettle is too small for my COFI filter basket (I also have a 15 gallon kettle with COFI basket, it is also too big). What is needed is a false bottom which can sit over the top of the heating element and still allow plenty of circulation through the bag, like this. I just need to cut the holes for the heating element plus a hole for the Brew-Boss accessories such as the Swirl-Boss for recirculation, and the CIP ball for clean-up. I already have these accessories so it should be a snap to make this happen.

Just a couple of things to consider is whether this is feasible and can the Brew-Boss do extract batches. Well, considering that the heat of the day saps every bit of my strength, shortening up the brew day using extracts seems like the way to go. When human-tolerable weather returns in the fall, I can go back to all-grain brewing. I would appreciate hearing about similar projects and this group's comments. Thanx.

Back