Brew beer solely for cooking?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gannawdm

Reaction score
Has anybody brewed a particular beer solely for cooking? I was thinking that I'd love to make a nice smokey sweet stout that would be far sweeter and smokier than I'd care to drink but would be perfect for marinating meat. Anybody done that?

I haven't, but from the people I know that cook with beer, a sweet brown seems to be rather popular. So, that might be a nice style as well for cooking (a Newcastle-like beer).

Never done it, at first it seemed like a waste but then again its another excuse to brew

My thought is that there are some great flavors in beer that might not be as strong as you'd like them to be for cooking purposes. Consider an oaked stout. For drinking, I like a very subtle oak flavor. However, I'd like it to be MUCH stronger if I were going to use my stout as part of a beef marinade.

I think that would be a very intriguing idea. Perhaps an oaked brown ale in a two gallon batch is in order...

Has anybody brewed a particular beer solely for cooking? I was thinking that I'd love to make a nice smokey sweet stout that would be far sweeter and smokier than I'd care to drink but would be perfect for marinating meat. Anybody done that?

not intentionally . . .
I brewed a smoked pale that was WAY to smokey to drink but absolutely fantastic when used with my grill

Latest posts

Back