Brew 911-Saving a 1.020 batch by blending

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devildancer

Reaction score
So my wonderful wife decided to brew while I was at work on Sunday. She did a great job exept for one major detail; She spun the grain mill backwards. We ended up with a 1.020 version of Jamil's BCS Hoppiness is an IPA. I figure the IBU's to be about 80. A 2 litre starter of 1056 was pitched, and it's been fermenting along for 3 days now. What I'd like to do is brew a similar beer, but around 1.080 and lightly hopped, and throw that on the 1056 yeast cake. The first beer would be racked to secondary after 5 days. Then ferment them both for about 3 weeks, keg, condition, and finally blend. Any suggestions?

How is that possible? I mean..the grain wasn't crushed at all?

What I would do if I were you is go buy some lightly hopped beers at the store, and try blending them in a tasting glass (or measuring cup/graduated cylinder if you want to get fancy) to see how it tastes in different proportions, etc. Once you've found something you like, you can target that specific style and maybe even find a clone recipe for that beer.

Thats a great idea! I'm not sure how it could go through the mill, but she said it sounded like rocks and took a long time. She was using a drill and it appears to have been in reverse.

I am in awe. My wife would not even have a clue how to start brewing a batch of beer.

Well she likes brewing, she's just not very mechanical or process oriented. She's the creative element of our operation. In fact, she bought our equipment kit and first few extract kits. She also made the push for AG, bless her heart. Plus she's hot too.

Well she likes brewing, she's just not very mechanical or process oriented. She's the creative element of our operation. In fact, she bought our equipment kit and first few extract kits. She also made the push for AG, bless her heart. Plus she's hot too.

I'm certain the only way we can really help out here is if you post pictures of your brewing process, and don't leave out the wife! :mug:

Back