Brew #1 in the bottle!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SwillyBilly

Reaction score
Well, I bottled my first batch tonight, a Brewer's Best Scottish Ale. Everything seemed to go fairly well but I only got 47.5 bottles out of the batch. I would've gotten 48 if I hadn't taken a sample for measuring with the hydrometer. But it did taste like beer!

So, quick question. My SG at brew time was 1.0356, 1 week later my SG at secondary rack time was 1.0146, and 2 weeks after that my SG at bottle time was 1.0122. Do these numbers sound normal? The specified OG was 1.034 - 1.038 with an ABV% of 3.25-3.50%. It seems like mine will be a bit low at 3.07%.

Thanks in advance!

Now we wait. I couldn't resist tasting my batch too. Although flat and warm, it did taste like beer! Knowing my lack of patience I'm sure I will pop one open next weekend to see what it's like.

How did you get such accurate hydrometer readings?

Congrats on your first batch!!!!

Your readings sound great. The only thing that's not entirely clear is if fermentation had stopped - many people here chech hydrometer readings over two or more days.

Cheers!

enjoy....i feel i am the ghost of waiting past...I say drink early seeing that it is a first/second brew. Just understand that the beers you let sit and bottle condition 3+ weeks will be money :) either way....do what i did an drink up!!! just save a couple to see the beer in its real state!!!

cheers:)

Now we wait. I couldn't resist tasting my batch too. Although flat and warm, it did taste like beer! Knowing my lack of patience I'm sure I will pop one open next weekend to see what it's like.

How did you get such accurate hydrometer readings?

The hydrometer goes out to 3 places (e.g. 1.034) and then I have to temperature correct so it says to add 0.016 if the temp is 70* (so I get 1.0356).

Ha, maybe I'll pop one next week too!

I recommend popping 1 and thats it...then pop 1 next week...by week three you will see why it's a waste of beer to open early :)...it is truly awesome to drink your own beer...but even more awesome to drink great homebrew...

if i can tell you anything...time is the best ingredient...

...on deck Bells two hearted ipa...trust me...

6.5lb dme or 8lb lme (light)
1 lb. - Caramel/Crystal Malt (10L)
1/2 lb. - CaraPils
.5lb flaked wheat (head)

Hop Schedule (47 IBU)

1/2 oz. - Centennial (60 min.)
1/2 oz. - Centennial (45 min.)
1/2 oz. - Centennial (30 min.)
1/2 oz. - Centennial (15 min.)
1/2 oz. - Centennial (flameout)
1 oz. - Centennial (Dry Hop)
*optional*
If you like a bit more hop, use 1/2 oz of Centennial as a First Wort Hop addition

Yeast us-05

yes and yes. I would figure 5.5gal so that you end up with 5 gal bottled/kegged.

If you do a half boil, add 1/2 the extract in the beginning of the boil and the other 1/2 in the last 15min. This will allow the bittering hops to be in the correct gravity (same as final gravity...not 2X concentrated) and therefor you won't need to increase hops dosage to get the same result.

now its bottled. start your next batch. You know what got me to be a patient dog? thinking of the next batch. I constantly am brewing, I get enough going till I literally have too much. I have a case of amber, case of blonde, kegged cider and orange corriander wheat ale. I know you can't see me but......Im gitty.

Yep, already got a Kolsch in the secondary. Next up will probably be the IPA. After that maybe a wheat? How's the orange coriander?

The hydrometer goes out to 3 places (e.g. 1.034) and then I have to temperature correct so it says to add 0.016 if the temp is 70* (so I get 1.0356).

Ha, maybe I'll pop one next week too!

wouldn't 1.034 + .016 be 1.05? how does it make it 1.0356?

Not sure if anyone mentioned this yet... I read you bottled a half bottle (assumed this from the .5)... From what I've read those can build up dangerous pressure and are sure bottle bombs. Just a heads up!

Not sure if anyone mentioned this yet... I read you bottled a half bottle (assumed this from the .5)... From what I've read those can build up dangerous pressure and are sure bottle bombs. Just a heads up!

Wow, thanks for the warning. I didn't know this. I guess I assumed that less beer meant less CO2 and less pressure. I'll have to be careful with that.

+1 watch that! the increased airspace (i.e. oxygen) allows for more fermentation of the bottling sugar and may blow. I would put that one in the fridge and drink it sooner then later...

I usually just drink whatever doesn't fill the last bottle.

congrats:)

Thanks, I fished that one out of the pantry and stuck it in the fridge. I'll pop it open later. It's only been in the bottle for 3 days so hopefully it hasn't built up too much pressure.

I tell ya, I'm glad I found this forum!

Congrats! I too bottled my first ever solo batch recently and it looked, smelled, and tasted like beer. It's a great feeling knowing that your first batch is actually going to be drinkable. This beer brewing thing certainly is addicting.

in he beginning i had a couple that were great and a couple that were soso...either way they are awesome b/c you made it! congrats.

Little trick, if its one of the soso batches, add lemon juice :) they go down much smoother...:mug:

Just think, corona made a fortune selling piss water with a lime....:)

...welcome to the addiction!

+1 about Corona.

Well, I popped open the half bottle and gave it a try.

It had a nice phsshhhh sound when I opened it. Color was dark amber. Started with a decent head but it faded quickly. Poor lacing.

It was surprisingly fizzy for being in the bottle only three days. The taste was pretty watery. Not much flavor. Hopefully that part will improve as it bottle conditions more.

Well, three weeks have gone by since bottling my first batch (a Brewer's Best Scottish Ale). Yesterday I stuck a bottle in the fridge and today I popped the top on the first full bottle. I also popped the top on a Belhaven Scottish Ale as a comparison.

Carbonation - both beers sounded the same upon opening. A little phsst sound. No gushers, thankfully.

Head - Both had a small head. Nothing very large...maybe a half inch or so. I scrubbed the glasses with baking soda since they just came out of the dishwasher. I'm not sure if this could affect the head.

Bubbles - Both beers continued to bubble throughout drinking them. Neither tasted flat.

Maltiness - The Belhaven definitely tasted maltier than my scottish ale. I could really taste the sweeter grain flavors in the Belhaven. My ale wasn't very sweet at all and I couldn't pick up much maltiness.

Mouthfeel - I'm not an expert but the Belhaven seemed to feel fuller in my mouth. My scottish ale seemed a bit watery. Belhaven says it's ale is about 3.9% ABV. Mine calculated out to be about 3.07% ABV.

Hoppiness - Neither beer tastes very hoppy. Though I really didn't expect them too considering that scottish ales are more known for the malt flavor (I think).

Overall, I'm a little disappointed with my first bottle. Hopefully it will improve with age. I'm keeping a handful of other scottish ales in the fridge and will do similar comparisons each week. Next up is the Belhaven St. Andrew's Ale.

(Oh yeah, I have a Kolsch that's been in the secondary for 3 weeks now. I'll be bottling that sometime very soon!)

Back