Brett Type in Sofie and Matilda

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

statseeker

Reaction score
Wondering which strain is in these beers. I'm tasting distinct brux but I can't hang my hat entirely on this. Checked the Goose Island site and they aren't specific on this for obvious reasons.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Home Brew mobile app

I believe I have read in several articles it was brettanomyces lambicus... I think this was mentioned specifically in some of the recall notices they had in 2010/11

They are both primaried with their house strain and barrel aged with brett brux. There's an interview someone from Goose Island did at some beer fest a couple months ago, I'll post it when I get home. -edit- Gabe posted the link above.

Alternatively, they have recently released Matilda Lambicus done with brett L.

Juliet is my favorite of the sisters, but to be honest anything out of their barrel program has been outstanding.

Love Mathilda! Mathilda and Rayon Vert are the only pale ales with brett that I can get in my area. I absolutely love this style, and INBEV or not, gotta hand it to GI for getting brett out to a massive audience.

Matilda is inspired from Orval, which uses Brett Brux, so my guess would be the same for Matilda. Not sure about Sofie, but could be similar.

I had figured it used brux. It almost hit me in the face when I first tasted it. It's very balanced though. The character of the yeast comes out more as the beer warms up. I'm culturing the yeast out of both Sofie and Matilda in one flask. I'll be preserving it in a one gallon jug for later use either in an all brett fermentation or an addition to an aging Belgian ale. Havent decided yet.

I had figured it used brux. It almost hit me in the face when I first tasted it. It's very balanced though. The character of the yeast comes out more as the beer warms up. I'm culturing the yeast out of both Sofie and Matilda in one flask. I'll be preserving it in a one gallon jug for later use either in an all brett fermentation or an addition to an aging Belgian ale. Havent decided yet.

If there is already sacc in their beers how can you use it for an all-brett fermentation?

Ahhh good point. So part brett part belgian sacc fermentation. I forgot they use sacc for primary.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Home Brew mobile app

Back