Brett primary ferment: oxygenate vs. no oxygen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kershner_Ale

Reaction score
For you guys using Brett exclusively to do your primary fermentation, are you oxygenating as you would with Sacc? Or no oxygen? Anyone tried it both ways and if so, have you noticed Brett expressing funky character more one way than the other?

Thanks!

I'm interested to hear others' responses. In my few Brett-only fermentations, I've oxygenated, and it's worked well. With that said, those have produced more of the fruity Brett character. I think that's typical in the absence of Sacc esters and phenolics.

I barely oxygenate my brett beers. I also use an airlock and stopper on the starters because brett can produce acetic acid in the presence of too much oxygen. From what Ive read, it doesnt really need oxygen to do its thing.

Aeration or oxygenation for 100% brett beers is a good idea. It's still a yeast, and oxygen is needed by yeast for greater cell growth. Brett produces acetic acid during ethanol production, not during the lag phase, so there's nothing to worry about as long as you keep oxygen out of the fermenter once fermentation starts.

Back