Brett cross-contamination of kegs via connected gas lines

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewscot

Reaction score
I have a corny with some barrel-aged beer that is developing a lovely brettiness from the wine cask. I have 3 other cornies connected to the same gas outlet via JG splitters. This means that I can get gas transferring from one keg to another if I connect more than one that is at a lower pressure. I now have distinct brett flavours in two of my other kegs after a couple of months, and the only explanation I can think of is that some brett has transferred between them in the gas transfer. Has anyone come across this before, or think it is feasible?

I have. I made a brett saison and I've never been able to get rid of it despite being a psycho about cleaning and sanitation. I was told brett can't go airborne, but after spending tons replacing anything in my brewery that isn't stainless steel, it still shows up in kegs after a few weeks. All my kegs have since been hooked up to check valves, but the brett still eventually gets in from somewhere. Never again will I use brett.

Interesting, if worrying. I can see a lot of heavy-duty cleaning and sanitising on the horizon, including my gas lines and fittings. I was also thinking of getting check valves- would you expect these to check airborne microbes as well as liquid? I'll also be extra careful to keep any keg with brett isolated from other kegs' gas lines.

Back