Brett c in 2ndary but final gravity is 1.004 do I pitch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madscientistbrewNq

Reaction score
First time trying to play with Brett. i did a 4 grain petite saison and fermented with omega saisonstein monster. I'm at 1.004 so probably should have mashed hotter but I was predicted to land around 1.006 which I thought would be good. I wanted to secondary with brett c but my concern is there's nothing really for Brett c to work on now. I had planned to condition over fruit after approx 2 months like passion fruit at around 2 lbs per gallon.

I'm was going to split my 5 gallon batch and do 3 gallon trial with the Brett c and fruit.

Any insight on whether I'd be wasting the Brett would be appreciated. I also have a 5 gallon batch of sacch trios with medusa and cashmere but dry hopped it already so not certain this would be a good candidate for the brett but final gravity is around 1.007. if any of you feel I should split this batch instead let me know as I do have some mango puree laying around....

Both beers fermented out quite well... I could always take the saison and bulk age on some oak and maybe some other fruit.

Last edited:
Brett doesnt need much at all to make an impact. I would continue with the planand use the Brett with the 3 gallon fruit batch. I would leave it on that fruit for a few months then bottle.

Sounds very tasty!!

Brett does not require simple sugars, or even fermentable sugars, to go to work. Most of the Brett-y character comes from esterification of fermentation components rather than anaerobic fermentation — even if Brett doesn’t reduce your gravity, it will affect your beer.

thank you I went ahead and pitched. originally I was gonna wait to add the puree later but I said screw it as that's one less transfer etc... I suppose I will see what it does in about 2 to 4 months. wife likes Brett saisons and baby is coming at the end of october... might be a nice surprise...

Back