Brett+Bug Blend in High ABV Beer? (14% abv, 60 ibu)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erranceloup

Reaction score
I'm considering pitching some Roeselare blend into a growler filled with 48oz of Bourbon County Stout. At 60 IBU and 14% ABV I'm concerned the brett/bugs won't take hold, or that I'll get a very lackluster fermentation. Is this just a bad idea?

Brett dies at around 12% (Brett being the strongest of the bugs in the blend, I believe) and the hops won't help it any either.

If you want a sour stout, you have to make a sour stout. Lower IBUs, different (dehusked) roasted malts to help with astringency. Letting the bugs grow in wort before the alcohol inhibits them too much. I'm sure there are other reasons. Drink it!

Way too much alcohol and IBUs for both lacto and Pedio. The beer will not be sour. Brett should be OK. It doesn't seem to mind IBUs, and is probably alright up to about 18% abv.

I agree that this doesn't seem like a good idea and it is better to try to make a sour stout from the start than sour up a finished like this.

But brett can definitely tolerate tat alcohol. Consider how worried the wine world is about brett. And their primary fermentations go quickly so if brett died at 12% then once fermentation is done their would be any brett troubles. but we know this isn't the case.

I have had a Spanish fortified wine that was about 16% abv and sour. So bacteria can tolerate that ABV as well but I think the hops in this will be a problem.

Overall i think this isn't a good plan and if you are set on a 14% sour stout then you should brew one with the bugs from the beginning.

Maybe the wild strains that winemakers fear are different than the commercial examples, but Wyeast lists both of their Lambic Bretts as 12% and the Roeselare blend at 11%.

Back